Chapter 10: Caged Bird

"Fuck NO!"

A beautiful day was taking place in the respected and feared Konohagakure no Sato. Today an air of excitement could be felt all around, countless vendors, different food, and game stalls could be found anywhere you looked. Children ran carefree on the streets playing and laughing like there would be no tomorrow.

The day of the Chunin Exams finals had finally arrived, a famous and prestigious event that takes place every six months in many different villages; visitors from distant lands were seen enjoying the nice atmosphere and welcoming warmth of Konoha's residents. All in all, it looked like the final tournament was going to be a fun and great event.

A shocking contrast with the conversation going on at the Hokage's office.

"You must finally be going senile in your advanced age, old man." The powerful and feared white-haired Sannin walked around the room as he venomously spat his disagreement with the Hokage's latest directives. "You're being stupid!".

Sarutobi Hiruzen had to resist the urge to chuckle at his students' childish behavior. It was truly refreshing to see him so focused on the matter at hand, it truly was heart-warming to see him so concerned, it almost made him reconsider. "You're being stubborn Jiraiya, this isn't up for negotiation."

Jiraiya was torn between smashing his head repeatedly on the wall or smashing Hiruzen's on his desk. "How do you expect me to let you in there alone?! Don't you realize how unreasonable you're being?!"

"Jiraiya." Oh, Jiraiya didn't like that tone, that was the voice that said you wouldn't be changing the man's mind. "I've made up my mind, this is something I must do. I can't allow you to neglect your duty to this village for the sake of keeping me safe."

Just last night Jiraiya had come to him with very concerning news, ever since Kakashi informed him of Rasa's absence- Hiruzen had grown weary of the standing between their allied nations so he had Jiraiya do a little digging. The man had been stationed in the village helping out with Naruto's training but that didn't stop him from using his carefully built spy network.

The information he got was not what they were expecting.

One of Jiraiya's spies had come across a lifeless body buried in the desert, just away enough from Suna to ensure that it would be hard to find but not impossible, whoever did it had been trying to make some sort of statement.

It's not every day that you find the corpse of a Kage after all.

"We both know the Kazekage that's resting in a hotel right now has to be him!" It wasn't so hard in Jiraiya's mind, to stay with Hiruzen and take on their invaders by surprise when the whole thing starts. "You have to let me help you sensei, please."

Beggin wasn't a good look on Jiraiya, it pained Hiruzen greatly to see him in such a state but it was necessary. "You're my best student Jiraiya, I know you understand what I'm asking you to do is the right thing, it truly warms my heart to see your concern for my safety but it is misplaced. This is my duty as Hokage and as a former sensei."

That was as far as it got and Jiraiya knew it, Kami knows he hates being in these kinds of situations, so powerless...

So utterly useless.

He knew his sensei was right, everyone had their task to fulfill and he had to comply, it didn't matter if he liked it or not, no matter how close he was to the seasoned old warrior Jiraiya was still a Shinobi under his command.

If his sensei wanted him to defend the village from their soon to be invaders with the aid of the toads he would do just that, he hoped to whatever god was listening to his thoughts that Sarutobi was still the same man worthy of being called the second 'Kami no Shinobi'.