Chapter 6: Forest Of Death

"What do you make of this Kakashi?"

The man sighed. "I'm not sure, the only thing I could think of about Naruto that only you and a few people are supposed to know is his parentage... but that doesn't make sense."

The Hokage and Kakashi had been going over the little note Naruto had left for him for a while now. It annoyed Kakashi to no end that he was the one tasked to figuring it all out when it was obvious in the Hokage's face that he knew what Naruto meant.

Thinking he was being made fun of, Kakashi didn't stop to think that maybe asking him what he knew about it was the Hokage's way of finding out if there was a leak of information in his ranks that he had to take care of.

"That's because you're guessing wrong, Kakashi..." Said Hiruzen cryptically. "The only time I can recall ever mentioning Ibiki to Naruto-kun is the night of the Mizuki incident."

"The Mizuki incident?" By now it was common knowledge between Konoha's forces that the man had been found to be a traitor, none other than the people involved however were privy to the full details.

"It was revealed that Mizuki decided to impersonate Naruto in his heist. I, however, kept quiet about the fact that Naruto actually helped us track him after he attempted to flee the village. At the moment I had no knowledge of who Mizuki was working for or why he had chosen Naruto to impersonate. After Ibiki told me about Orochimaru's involvement I decided to keep it secret, hoping he never got word of this." Explained Hiruzen.

"Do you think Yakushi Kabuto is a spy?" Asked Kakashi.

"I'm not certain... it is a possibility we should definitely look into, if he is a spy, we must discover for whom he's spying." That's not to say Hiruzen doesn't have a few guesses on the matter but he thinks it best to wait until more information is available to him.

Kakashi furrowed his brow in concentration "I believe it would be best if you send an ANBU squad to shadow him for a while."

"No." Replied Hiruzen, not bothering to give the notion so much as a second thought.

"No?" Asked Kakashi, a dumbfounded look on his face.

"If he truly is a spy, we must assume he's able to detect a tail of ANBU, I doubt our forces would be able to get close enough to him to make tailing him useful..." Said Hiruzen as he looked out the window.

"However..." He trailed off. "What makes Naruto special is not common knowledge, I'm inclined to believe he is not a target."

It's true that Naruto was the one to detect the leak of information by means of his classified mission but, it just wouldn't make sense for this suspected spy to tip off his subject like that. That made him think it was most likely an accident.

What truly is concerning for the Hokage is the why, why would a suspected spy try and approach a group of random Genin? They hold no valuable information he could get out of them; was he trying to lure them into a false sense of security?

Why?

"I want you to go into the forest, monitor the exams from the tower, if you find anything suspicious I'm giving you free reign to act as you see fit, is that clear?"

"Crystal." Replied Kakashi.

"Then report to Anko in the tower at once."

"It will be done." Kakashi left the Hokage's office via Shunshin. He wasn't sure why, but he was starting to get a bad feeling about all this.

--

"Gather 'round kiddies!" Yelled out Anko, getting the attention of the Genin "You all better pay attention cuz I'm not gonna tell you twice alright?"