it was just a dream | pt. 2

chapter 24...

Once Neteyam and Lo'ak arrived at the hut with Za'nara, they helped her inside and sat her down.

"Do you need anything?" Neteyam asked.

"I'm okay." Za'nara replied.

"You scared me, Za." Lo'ak expressed. "I thought..."

"Hey, I'm okay..." Za'nara replied.

Lo'ak pulled Za'nara into him and hugged her gently but firmly. Za'nara wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him back.

"Well If your all good now, I should probably go." Neteyam said to her, trying to avoid this awkward situation he was in.

"Wait!" Za'nara stopped him. "Thank you for helping me back.."

"Anytime." Neteyam replied, exiting the hut.

"I'll let you have some time alone." Lo'ak said to her before kissing her cheek. "I'll catch up with you later.."

"Okay." Za'nara replied.

Lo'ak exited the hut and Za'nara sat their and smiled. Moments after Jake entered the hut and came and sat down next to her.

"Now we're alone, do you want to explain the real reason behind why you got a panic attack?" Jake asked her.

Za'nara sighed.

"I've been having these dreams..." Za'nara began to explain. "That Quaritch captured me again... and he told me that he was going to kill all of you... starting with you and Lo'ak. The dreams are usually the same, I've been having them for a while now. Lately they have just started to feel so real, like I can hear his words, just whispering in the back of my head. That's what caused my panic attack..."

"Za'nara...I'm so sorry." Jake apologised, pulling her into his stomach. "Your safe here...I won't let Quaritch harm any of us, that includes you...you just have to remember that it's just a dream. He can't hurt you."

A tear ran down Za'nara's cheek.

"I just want to feel normal...but every time I close my eyes.. he's there. Taunting me." Za'nara explained. "I can't get him out of my head."

"Look at me." Jake said to her, pulling her chin up. "It's all going to be okay, you are going to get through this...and you are not him."

"Promise me, you'll never let him get me again." Za'nara cried.

"Pinky promise." Jake replied, pulling his pinky finger up.

It took Za'nara back to a fond memory she had of Jake as a child...

{The memory}

Ten years ago...

"I don't want to go home, I want to keep playing!" Little Zanara cried.

"I know, Zary. How about this... You can come back first thing tomorrow morning and spend all day with the kids!" Jake comprised. "I'll even fly you home tonight!"

Little Zanara smiled.

"Promise?" Little Zanara asked, lifting her pinky up in the air.

"Pinky promise!" Jake replied, connecting their pinkies together.

...

{present time}

"Pinky promise." Jake replied, pulling his pinky up, for her to connect.

Za'nara lifted her pinky and connected it with Jake's and smiled, wrapping her arms around his back and hugging him tightly. All though her father was gone...Jake had always treated her as is own no matter what.