nobody understands

chapter twelve.

The group of kids gathered near the shore as Lo'ak explained his wild encounter with a Tulkun the previous night.

"I wish I'd been there. The ocean blessed you with a gift brother." Kiri said in awe.

"The Tulkun have not returned yet." Ao'nung explained. "Anyway no Tulkun is ever alone."

"This one was." Lo'ak replied. "He had a missing fin, like a stump on the left side."

"Poor Tulkun." Tuk commented.

Tsireya turned to her brother and Rotxo.

"Payakan, it's Payakan." Tsireya announced to the group.

"Who's Payakan?" Kiri asked.

"He's a lone bull who went rogue, he's outcast. Alone." Rotxo explained.

"They say he's a killer." Tsireya explained.

"He killed Na'vi and other Tulkun. Not here, but far to the south." Ao'nung explained.

"I'm telling you guys, he's not a killer. He saved my life, he's my friend." Lo'ak attempted to explain.

"Lo'ak maybe you should listen to them." Za'nara suggested.

"I thought out of everyone, you'd at least be on my side." Lo'ak expressed.

Neteyam walked over to Lo'ak and placed his hands on his shoulders.

"My baby bro, the mighty warrior. Who faced a killer Tulkun and lived to tell about it." Neteyam joked.

Lo'ak shrugged his shoulders and threw Neteyam's hands off of him and got up from his spot.

"You guys aren't listening." Lo'ak said as he walked away from the group.

"Lo'ak i'm listening!" Tuk yelled.

"Lo'ak come back." Kiri yelled.

"You Skxawng." Za'nara said to Neteyam.

"He will cool down." Neteyam explained.

"I'm going after him." Za'nara said, following after Lo'ak.

~

Down on the beach, Lo'ak was placing his gear on his ilu.

"Lo'ak, can we talk?" Za'nara asked.

"I'm busy." Lo'ak replied, completely ignoring eye contact and continuing placing the gear onto his ilu.

"Where are you going?" Za'nara asked.

"To see Payakan." Lo'ak replied.

"You can't, it's too dangerous." Za'nara expressed.

"I don't really care, he's my friend." Lo'ak snapped. "I thought you were too."

"I am."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"Fine if you want to go see Payakan, then i'm coming with you." Za'nara demanded.

"No." Lo'ak replied.

"I'm coming." Za'nara repeated.

"Whatever." Lo'ak replied, mounting his ilu and racing off.

Za'nara called to her ilu fast and raced after them.

"Payakan!" Lo'ak screamed in the middle of the reef out loud. "Payakan!"

Payakan swam to the surface to greet Lo'ak, Loak jumped on his fin.

"Why are you outcast? What happened." Lo'ak signed to Payakan.