Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four (Killian)

 "You cannot tell him."

I had lost count as to how many times Zenliu had said this to me once we arrived at our camp. The soldiers were bristled at first to see Zenliu and his men, but they were also intrigued in the same way they were when they first saw Zen. Their eyes followed the incubos around like cats watching a laser pointer, but they knew better than to come at them. None of the men seemed interested and the way they carried their weapons also proved to be a major turn off.

"I can't tell him," I assured Zenliu as I stood in my tent, picking up a few weapons and tucking them into my belt, "Alexius has already had his family turn his back on him. I'm not about to introduce him to more." Zenliu stiffened at that, watching me in silence for a while as I gathered things we would need in order to invade the enemy's camp. I could feel his eyes following me for a while and when I glanced up into my mirror, I could see his reflection. A grim expression on his handsome face, blue eyes downcast. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was guilty.

I straightened and turned to face him, making him avert his eyes. I studied his expression, then sighed, leaning back against my desk and folding my arms over my chest.

"You have something to say. Say it." I told him. Zenliu sighed, wearily as he looked around the tent a little more, grimacing every so often at items I'm sure he'd never take to his own village. He turned back to me and I raised my eyebrow impatiently. He scowled, clenching his fists.

"It's not that I don't want to know Alexius. I do not scorn him for being a cambion. I don't want him to know because I hated his mother and Ren." He answered coldly. I blinked, surprised. I almost felt sorry for Ivy in the sense that one brother loved her and the other hated her.

"Hated them? Why?" I asked. Zenliu looked at me, mildly disgusted as he folded his arms over his chest.

"They were my younger siblings, and annoying. Ren was always following Ivy around like a puppy, as if the only person he'd ever give attention to was Ivy, and Ivy was too ditzy to notice. And because of their relationship, everyone loved them. They were so close and so pretty and even our parents focused on them." He explained bitterly.

"So, what? Were you jealous?" I asked dryly. Zenliu snorted.

"Hardly. I loved my solitude. I still do on occasion. Ivy would try to follow me sometimes, try to be sweet and nice, and wherever she went, Ren would be right at her heels. And with him came more people and it irritated me. Let's just say I was the antisocial child who wanted nothing to do with other people."

"You have no problem leading your own village."

"Because they don't need me unless there's an emergency, and can you imagine how many emergencies we get out here? Well, until now that is. Thanks for that, by the way."

"You're welcome," I responded just as sarcastically, making Zenliu snort before I went on, "So, what happened then? Did your parents send you away?"

"No," Zenliu responded, shrugging, "I left. I was old enough to be on my own. I packed my things and moved to the human realm where I'd be around more food sources. That's when I met Telulu. It was also around that time that I received word about Ivy. I went to her funeral and while I was there, I didn't see any sign of Alexius. I asked Ren and he exploded on me. He tried to get me to take Alexius away, but I couldn't. Telulu was pregnant with Keltzu. I was already panicking about that. The last thing I needed was another child, especially the bastard child of my idiotic sister."

I supposed that made sense, I admitted to myself. I had to see it from Zenliu's point of view. He was just tired of his family, tired of being sucked into their drama and their life. He wanted to live his own, so he left and found the love of his life, had children of his own. He couldn't afford to take in Alexius and his baggage, especially given Zenliu's personality. He was a loner by nature. He preferred peace and serenity, something I know Alexius also valued, but wherever Alexius went, danger was soon to follow.