Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine (Alexius)

"Alexius, we need to talk about Erini."

Killian was a very talented demon. He could negotiate, he could speak clearly and powerfully, he could battle men twice his size, and he could think rationally in times of great danger. He was also very good at ruining my moments of bliss.

I was resting my head against his shoulder, enjoying the sound of his heart beating and his blood pulsing through his veins. I draped one leg over his, knee drawing up to his thigh, my arm laying over his stomach. I was practically curled against him and part of me was surprisingly embarrassed by this position. Something about it was vulnerable, too serene to be real. It was something you read about in romance novels, not something that happened in real life. And yet, here I was, doing something that I'd never done with a lover.

But then, I'd slept with Killian plenty of times already, something I definitely did not do with any of the other creatures I'd fed from. Of course, Killian was more than that. It was something I had been working so hard to put into words, but I couldn't find the right way to say it. Killian had told me plenty of times how he felt about me, and you'd think I'd be able to pull something out of that, but it didn't seem to work. I couldn't form the words on my tongue. It was as if they were completely and utterly... foreign.

"Alexius." Killian said again to get my attention, placing his hand in my hair. I closed my eyes for a moment, savoring the soothing sensation of his fingers sliding through my hair, nails very lightly scraping my scalp. He ran his hand down, then lifted it back up to touch one of my horns. He trailed his finger down the side of one until his hand was in my hair again.

"All right." I said at last, then slowly pushed myself up onto my hands so Killian could get up. I instantly missed the feeling of his body's warmth, wanting to just push him back down and go for yet another round, but he had that serious look on his face again. I scooted back from him, letting him sit up. He hesitated, running a hand through his hair. He licked his lips in a way that told me he was hungry... or thirsty, I realized.

Killian was a vampyre.

He drank blood.

And the entire time we'd been together, he hadn't drank blood even once. He had to be suffering. Surely he was on the verge of starving by now. And why hadn't he drank from me? I wouldn't hesitate to offer my blood. It was like he was trying his hardest not to drink from me, and that made me angry.

"You're thirsty." I accused. Killian had been running his hand through his hair, one arm draped across his knees that he'd drawn up, then his hand stopped in his hair before he dropped his head to look at his lap for a moment. He looked up at me, frowning.

"I beg your pardon?" He asked. I scowled at him, drawing a knee up to my chest and leaning back on a hand as I cocked my head toward him.

"You haven't drank a single drop of blood since we first met. Either you're drinking from someone else or you're starving yourself. And in case you're forgetting, I'm right here." I said, gesturing to myself. Killian blinked, then shook his head quickly, gathering his black hair and tossing it back overh is shoulder so it fell across his pale, muscular back.

"I don't want to drink your blood, Alexius."

"Why not? I'm feeding off of you constantly. Surely that's exhausting you. It's only fair that I return the favor."

"I said I don't want to drink your blood." Killian repeated firmly. I glared at him, irritated. Why did he not want to drink my blood? Was it because it was tainted? Because I was a cambion? Because I had the blood of a human in my veins? Or did he simply not like the fact that I was an incubus? Either way, he didn't want to drink my blood and that aggravated me more than I thought it would.