Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty (Killian)

I woke up to warmth and sunshine.

I could feel the sunlight pouring in through our open window, spreading across my face and burning against my eyelids. I grimaced, blinking my eyes open tiredly and found myself looking down at Alexius as he slept in my arms.

He looked completely at peace for once. His emerald green eyes were closed, dark lashes creating a crescent curve against his smooth, soft cheeks. His chocolate brown hair fell in smooth, thick locks across his face, a couple strands looped around his sleek black horns that glinted dangerously in the sunlight. He had his arms brought up between our chests, his head bowed slightly. His legs were entangled with mine, soft and somehow delicate. I could hear his heart beating very gently as he slept, the blood in his veins a quietly moving stream in his veins.

And my hunger had been sated, I knew. I no longer felt weak and exhausted easily, or irritated. I was relaxed and calm, lying beside Alexius, who continued to sleep, oblivious to the sunlight that tried to waken him.

I could hear people downstairs moving around, people chattering excitedly outside, the sound of our horses nickering and clomping around. They were preparing for us to leave for Lothos and Aric.

My stomach sank as I realized that today would just be more work and more danger. I didn't want to do this anymore. I was tired of pretending this war mattered and that I was intent to finish it. I was tired of getting tugged into more and more troublesome situations. I just wanted to take Alexius to Erini where he would be safe and my worry would subside.

I suddenly felt like an ice cube was sliding down my back when I realized what we'd done.

I'd bitten Alexius. His blood was the only thing that could sate me for the rest of our eternity together, but that was just the problem. We couldn't be together, or at least, I had a feeling Alexius wouldn't be too happy when he found out the real reason behind my being here. Alexius would be in Erini and while I could live there with him if I won the majority vote within the council, I would not be able to leave in times of war, the times when I would be most needed in the council.

That could become a problem. And how could I possibly explain to Alexius that I'd been sent into this war to bring him over to the neutral side? Would he forgive me?

I instantly remembered the way Alexius had looked at me last night. My heart clenched at the image of his emerald eyes glowing softly, his features so serene, and voice so sure that he wanted this. He had fallen in love with me, just as I'd fallen in love with him. I'd never seen Alexius look so happy as he was last night. And I couldn't remember a time when sex had been that good, or my heart had swelled so much with joy.

This was love, I knew as I gazed at Alexius' sleeping face. I gently reached up, brushing my fingers through his hair, tucking it away from his face behind his pointed ear. I was so in love with Alexius that it hurt. I wanted to grab him in my arms and hold onto him, never let him go. I wanted him to be close to the heart in my chest that throbbed for him. I wanted to spend eternity with him.

I wanted Alexius as much as he wanted me.

But would it be enough for Alexius to forgive me?

"Your breath smells awful." I blinked, then looked down to see that Alexius had woken up, his eyelids sliding open slowly to reveal his brilliant green eyes. I smiled faintly, all my worries and troubles flying right out the window.

"Sorry." I apologized quietly, stroking his hair for a while longer before I withdrew to allow him to prop himself up on his elbows. He rubbed at his eyes sleepily, yawning and showing off his fangs. He ducked his head, ruffling his hair and rubbing at his horns for a moment before his eyes flickered open, slender pupil dilated.