Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Alexius)

"I am not wearing a servant's uniform!"

I was beginning to regret rescuing Nico. I had smoothly informed him that, though I had saved his ass --quite literally, I hated him with the hot burning passion of a thousand suns and I couldn't care less if he was killed or maimed or anything else that seemed rather appealing at the moment. I could hear Killian chiding me in the back of my head to be patient, but my patience was wearing thin.

"You cannot wear a soldier's uniform," I told Nico firmly as I sat at the desk in my tent, watching him with narrowed eyes as he held up the servant's uniform Ana had brought for him, "You're also not a guest here. You are a prisoner. If you are so opposed to wearing it, then you can walk around naked. I'm sure all these sex-starved soldiers wouldn't mind at all." That made Nico grimace in disgust. He flashed me a dirty look before turning his back to me. He stripped off the filthy torn attire he had before and slipped the loose, long-sleeve black tunic over his head, letting it fall to his knees. He left the buttons at the collar open, then reached out and wrapped the woven belt around his waist tightly before tugging on a pair of brown leggings, then slipped his feet into the black sandals that had leather cords wrapping along his shin to his knees where he tied them tightly.

"So what do you plan to do now?" Nico asked me, turning to face me as he flipped his hair back over his shoulder. I glanced up at him, frowning a little before averting my eyes.

"I'm not leaving you alone in my quarters. Once Ana returns, I will have to take my leave and return to training my soldiers." I informed him calmly. Nico scrunched up his nose, folding his arms tightly over his chest.

"Training your soldiers? Do you even know how to fight?" He asked me. I stared at him and he held his hands up, taking a step back and plopping down into a chair across the tent-- keeping a good distance between us. A moment later, the flap to my tent opened and I looked up to see Remi walking in, his hand resting on the handle of his sword. He started to speak, then caught sight of Nico and looked at him curiously. Nico glared at him in response. That didn't seem to effect Remi in the least as he stared for a moment longer before looking away at me.

"General, we're going to go for a run around the island. I assume that you'll remain here?" He asked. I nodded, getting to my feet and gesturing to Nico, who still watched us wearily, body tensed and ready to fight back in case we planned anything.

"I have to babysit. I will, however, be joining you for dinner tonight, so expect my presence there." I responded. Remi nodded, then bowed out of respect. He paused again, though, to look back at Nico, who continued to glare at him as if Remi were the scum of the earth. Remi finally ducked out, leaving us alone. I turned to my desk to grab a few papers that I had been forced to sign concerning the health of my soldiers.

Of course, turning your back on the enemy wasn't a very smart idea.

And attacking your captor isn't smart either.

I could hear the faintest shiing of a metal blade against the inside of my weapons chest and the first few steps Nico took toward me. I narrowed my eyes and whipped around, making him yelp in surprise as I caught him by the wrist, twisting it hard so the dagger fell to the floor. I kept moving, whirling us around so I was slamming his head first on the desk. He hissed at me, baring his fangs.

"I just saved your ass." I reminded, clenching my hand against Nico's skull, my other hand gripping his arm that was now twisted behind his back. Nico glared up at me out the corner of his eye.

"Old habits die hard." He responded. I smirked and let go of him, backing up as he rubbed at his wrist, glancing me up and down sideways.

"Where did you learn to move like that?" He asked, sincerely curious as he lowered his arms to his sides. I picked up a few of the documents that had scattered to the floor when I slammed Nico down, then turned to face him drolly.