Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen (Killian)

"Your boyfriend's starting to worry me, Killian."

I narrowed my eyes at the term Arachnae had used to refer to Alexius and while I wanted to deny it, I couldn't bring myself to say it, so I didn't answer as I shoved my sword against Xav's, making him wince and stumble back. He tried to recover, but I whipped my sword around against his and sent it flying through the air and into the grass. Xav gave me a curious stare and went to fetch it as I stepped back, lowering my sword.

"Did you hear me?" Arachnae asked. I sighed, frustrated as I turned to face the man, who was holding two sacks that contained his meal and Alexius'-- as the two had been assigned to watch Nico for the rest of the day. He did look surprisingly concerned in those deep black eyes, and I could tell me wanted me to go back with him to barracks, but I had no idea what I would do if we did.

Alexius wouldn't be stopped, couldn't be. His sole purpose to torment his species for their cruelty towards him all these years was far more powerful than anything else in the world. Convincing him to turn his back on revenge was going to be much, much more difficult now. If not damn near impossible.

"Yes," I answered at last, voice stern as I sheathed my sword, folding my arms over my chest, "I heard you and I cannot do anything about it. Alexius is set on tormenting Nico. It's a personal matter that we best not get ourselves involved in." Arachnae snorted at that, making me frown as he rolled his eyes before looking back at me in irritation.

"Aye, I understand the need to kill the ones who've wronged you. I know that feeling to the core my soul and it is like a biting ice that urges me to obey, but I will not. I will not turn into the beast that turned on me so many years ago. And you and I both know that Alexius is not a beast." He informed. I blinked, looking at him curiously now as I lowered my arm.

"And what makes you say that?" I asked. Arachnae studied my face, glanced around to make sure no one was paying attention before he took a step closer.

"I see the way he is when he is around you, Killian. Alexius wants nothing more than some peace and quiet with someone who understands. He is not the vicious killing machine he claims to be, that Ulric and Marikas claim he is. He's a boy. A boy who's been kicked one too may times and now has difficulties ceasing his ways of defense. He expects people to lash out at him the moment they confront him, so he's on the defense against those kinds of people. He doesn't realize that there are those of us out there who are not cold and brittle. And he sees hope in you. If you abandon him now, he'll become just like the rest of the men at this camp." He explained firmly, making me blink in surprise. I hadn't expected Arachnae of all people to be so observant.

I knew Alexius wasn't coldhearted. A coldhearted monster would trample through nature, destroy everything in its path, all life, all hope. Alexius was not like that. Alexius savored every bit of kindness, every bit of beauty and grace. He drank it in like a man crawling out of the desert of cruelty.

But Arachnae was right.

Alexius was used to people spitting at him, throwing things at him, or using him. No one had ever shown him a lick of kindness, no one, but the earth that churned with his mother's soul. He couldn't recognize mercy, and because of that, he would show none with Nico.

While my heart still burned from the words Alexius had spat in my face, and urged me to let Alexius, to give up, to report to Kalziar and Ryouta for another course of action, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I could still imagine Alexius the way he was last night when we made love. He had only asked one of thing of me at the end, and that was to repeat how much I liked him. At the time, I liked Alexius more than a friend, but not quite enough to call it true love.