A charity case.

The slum bride.

It was the words they had called her the moment they turned away from her, they were audible enough for her to hear.

She had remained that in every public gathering, she was forced to attend thereafter, making her hate them eventually.

She didn't deserve to hold this title being an orphan, she was nameless and she wished to return to the same life again.

Keeping the last of her things in the packed suitcase, she zipped it and rolled it to the living room.

The clock ticked and chimed indicating the time he returns.

The keys dangled in the lock and she straightened the papers in her hands, blinking to gather her confidence.

She heard the door unlock when her bag slipped and she quickly held it to prevent its fall.

"I am leaving." She announced feeling the presence in the room. "Either you sign them or not."

"Sign what?" The new voice had her snap up as her hand froze in the middle and air was knocked out of her system. "What is she talking about?"

The voice thundered and Dhwani jumped on her place, wide eyes meeting the calm greys, just like that day, before fleeing to the third presence.

"G...GM?" She stuttered.

"Where are you going?" Gayatri Devi asked walking towards her, her soft expression turned to worry as she glanced at the two trolleys kept on her side. "What are these papers for?"

Before she could react, they were snatched from her hold and the worry dropped down to turn into rage.

"GM, I can explain." Anirudh was stopped short as Gayatri Devi showed him her palm.

"No more explanation is required." She gritted as she eyes the couple with daggers. "You two wanted to live alone to give a chance to each other and this is how you do it? Divorce!? Why?"

Dhwani flinched at the voice.

"GM, please let me explain." Anirudh came and stood before her, unintentionally shielding her from the wrath of the lady who ruled the entire Chouhan house with an iron fist.

"No. No more explanations will be required." The matriarch announced, "You two are coming with me back home this instant. No arguments will be entertained by me here."

"No." Dhwani stuttered earning a look from her husband as if screaming in his mind 'Do you have a death wish?' She looked away from him to the old lady "I have tried GM, not anymore. There is no marriage to work upon."

"There is always something to work upon, Dhwani." The words had her eyes burn.

"There was nothing to start with." She murmured glancing at Anirudh who was staring at nothing in particular.

"I can see there is and it is enough for me." Gayatri announced "Pack your bags, Ani. You are coming back home."

■ ■⁠ ■⁠