3.0

The morning sun peeks through the curtains, casting faint rays of light into the room. Cleo stirs in bed, her mind heavy with the weight of the decision she has to make. It felt like a noose tightening around her neck, each breath becoming shallower as the tension coils within her. She sits up, the sheets falling from her body as she gazes at the vacant space beside her. Marc's presence looms large, his absence palpable.

Cleo's fingers tremble as she reaches for her phone, the screen illuminating her anxious face. She scrolls through countless messages, her heart pounding with each passing second. The job offer, an opportunity to return to Cairo, a chance to reclaim a part of herself she has longed yearned for. But it also means leaving behind the life she had built, the love she had found. The room is suffocating, the walls closing in on her as she grapples with the magnitude of her choices. The silence between them is deafening, a silent battlefield where words were unnecessary. They have fought this battle many times before, but now it seems more significant, more painful.

Cleo's mind drifts back to the night before, the heated exchange, the accusations hurled like weapons. Steven's concern mingles with Marc's frustration, a tumultuous storm brewing within. Each personality has their own desires, their own fears, and Cleo finds herself caught in the crossfire. She closes her eyes, trying to find solace within the darkness. The memories of their intertwined past flooded her mind, the intertwining threads of love and pain weaving an intricate tapestry. She recalls the warmth of Steven's touch, his unwavering support, the laughter they have shared. But Marc's presence, though less frequent, has left an indelible mark on her soul, a connection that could not be severed.

The room remains still, the air heavy with unspoken words. Cleo can almost feel their presence, their essence swirling around her like a whirlwind of emotions. She longs for clarity, for a sign that would guide her through the labyrinth of her heart. But clarity eludes her, lost in the depths of her own conflicted psyche. She stands up, her bare feet making contact with the cold wooden floor. The chill shoots up her spine, a stark reminder of the choices that lay ahead. The email, still unread, seems to taunt her, a portal to a world she had once called home. Cairo, the city of ancient wonders and buried dreams, beckons her like a siren's call.

Her gaze drifts to the mirror, her reflection staring back at her with questioning eyes. Who is she? A woman torn between her own desires and the commitments she has made. The weight of responsibility settles upon her shoulders, threatening to crush her spirit. In the depths of her soul, she yearns for freedom, for the chance to chase her dreams without restraint. A tremor runs through her body as she reaches out, her hand brushing against the cool glass. She wondering if the person staring back at her could see the turmoil within, the chaos that threatens to consume her. She traces her own reflection, the lines of her face etched with determination and doubt.

The room remains shrouded in silence, the stillness magnifying the tension that hung in the air. Cleo can almost hear the whispers of her own heart, the conflicting desires vying for dominance. Steven's love, warm and familiar, whispers promises of a future they had planned together. Marc's presence, enigmatic and passionate, echoes the call of adventure and self-discovery.

Her hand drops from the mirror, the decision unmade, suspended in the limbo of indecision. The room seems to close in around her, the walls tightening like a vise. The weight of her choices threatens to crush her, leaving her gasping for breath. A hand on her shoulder makes her jump, pulling out of her daze as she turns around to face the gaze of a puzzle piece.

" Ooop! Sorry, sorry," Steven stumbles, feeling his heart sink down into his stomach as he casually brushes the specks of sand off the plastic to-go cup, " Didn't mean to scare you, love," then proudly presents the cup, " Got you some coffee."