35

The Goddess stands up tall, dead tilting to the side as she inhales deeply through her snout. A snarl escapes her, the low rumbling of her throat making the hairs on Cleo's neck stand up straight.

" WHERE ARE YOU CLEOPATRA?"

Cleo locks eyes with Layla, motioning for her to help the Avatars as she distracts the devourer.

Cleo steps out from the shadows, making her presence known as her metallic boots thud against the stone floors until the large crocodile comes into her view. One hand tightly grips the handle of her sword as she stands yards away from the Goddess who would have her head.

" YOU LOOK JUST LIKE HER."

" So I've heard," Cleo states, keeping her eyes locked on the deity.

The crocodile snarls yet again as she saunters closer to the archaeologist.

" YOUR SCALES LACK BALANCE. ALMOST AS IF THEY WERE BROKEN FROM THE START."

Cleo stands her ground as she feels the pungent breath of the crocodile against her forehead as Ammit towers above her.

" YOU DO NOT DESERVE THE POWERS YOU WERE GIVEN."

" So take them," Cleo quips as she strains her neck to meet the eyes of the Goddess, " They're all yours."

Ammit hesitates for only a moment, but as she opens her jaw to consume the soul of the woman before her, Cleo unsheaths her sword and plunges it through the mouth of the crocodile.

But it's not enough.

Ammit cries out in pure annoyance, removing the sword from her mouth and using her grand tail to knock Cleo off balance and send her flying out of the hole in the pyramid to fall to her death.

Cleo fumbles with her cape and her hair, trying to brush it out of her face so she can actually see, but it's no use. Her vision is impaired as her body nears the harsh sands of Egypt.

And yet, before she hits the ground, two arms wrap around her and safely bring her to a halt. Cleo brushes the hair out of her eyes to be met with Layla's a few inches from her. Her breath comes out in pants as her eyes flicker down to admire her new wardrobe.

 Her breath comes out in pants as her eyes flicker down to admire her new wardrobe

" It looks like you copied me," Cleo quips.

" That's what you have to say to me right after I saved your life?" Layla questions as her arms are still wrapped tightly around her body.

" Who said I would've died?"

In response, Layla lightly punches her shoulder, but then gives her a smile as she tucks a strand of curled hair behind Cleo's ear.

The sky above goes from bright and sunny to dark and desolate, no doubt the doing of the God of the Moon, and it lifts Cleo's spirits are she looks up at the skies above, feeling in her heart that they've come back.