19

" What are you doing here?"

" I live here."

As the two woman, who seemingly know each other, bicker, Steven's eyes flicker in between them, staying silent for he has no idea what the hell is going on.

And for a moment, Layla glances over at Steven before her eyes return to Cleo.

" You know Marc?"

" I know Steven."

Layla's brows furrow at her words. Maybe she's fallen victim to Marc's lies.

" His name is Marc," Layla states the truth.

" His name is Steven," Cleo says, also stating the truth.

All the while Steven finds the confidence to speak up.

" Y-You two know each other?" He asks, his eyes finding the nearest reflective surface to find Marc, as if asking him a question with his eyes.

" Don't look at me," Marc says, " I don't know what's going on."

Cleo and Layla's eyes stay locked on one anothers, having an entire conversation without words before one of them decides to speak.

" We were..." Cleo starts, unsure as to how exactly voice her thoughts.

" It's complicated," Layla says in an attempt to wrap up that subject before turning her attention back to the man in the room," Have you been lying to her?"

Steven almost takes offense to that, but feels put on the spot by the two pairs of eyes practically boring into his soul.

" What?" He scoffs, " No-- I would never."

" Then why does she think your name is Steven?" She asks.

" Because my name is Steven," He responds, getting a little irritated by this woman not believing that he is who he says he is.

Of course Cleo believes him... but she also believes Layla. She believes that Layla knows Steven... as Marc.

" So, what? You've just been using her for her connections so you can just abandon her like you abandoned me?" Layla accuses as she crosses her arms over her chest

" No, no, no" Steven says as he puts his hands out in front of him, " I-I wouldn't do that."

" Then how do you know her?" She asks, " Hm?"

In that moment, Steven and Cleo find each other's eyes as they both ask themselves that exact question.

How do they know each other?

They met at the museum, found out they were neighbors and became... close. But what exactly they became is yet to be spoken, or even yet to be known.

" We-we, um... we know each other from the museum," Steven utters, " She's a friend from work."