17

By the time Steven's in control of the body, he's on the bus and lets out a whimpering cry, for the last thing he remembers is being face to face with a God. He eyes his surroundings as he lets out one little cry, and realizes one very important thing.

Cleo is not with him.

The bystanders look at him as if he's losing his mind in the middle of their commute, and perhaps, he may be. His mind is fractured, split in multiple pieces, and he feels as if he's losing control. Or, as if he's never had control to begin with.

Steven does his best to avoid any form of eye contact, already feeling on edge as it is and doesn't need to see dozens of eyes staring at him. His head turns to look out the window, and in the middle of the street he sees the same creature from last night, standing out in broad daylight. Another bus passes by and the figure disappears, and Steven can't quite figure out if he's dreaming or not.

He quickly shuffles off the bus, and as he steps onto the sidewalk, the doors close. The bus begins to drive off, but not before Steven's eyes meet with the cult leader from the Alps.

Which means... it's real. Or at least, it very well could be. Which means, maybe Steven isn't mad afterall.

Steven strides up the front steps of the museum and makes a sharp turn to the security booth to meet with the distracted security guard.

"Hey, JB, how you doin', mate?" Steven asks nearly breathless.

" How's it going, Scott? Alright, mate," JB responds without so much as lifting his eyes.

" It's Steven," Steven mumbles, " Are you watching otter videos again?"

" They're adorable, mate," JB confirms, briefly bringing his head up and then going back down to watch his video.

" Great, yeah. Cool," Steven utters as he nervously looks around the room," Listen, man. I need you to keep an eye out, cause I'm being followed."

" Really, mate?"

" Yeah, will you just, like, not let anyone in, yeah?"

" It's a museum. That'll be difficult," JB says wearily,

" Obviously, obviously," Steven says as he speeds through his words, " I just mean, like, anyone dodgy."

" Anyone who wants to come in can, it's free," JB shrugs.

Steven tries to argue, but unfortunately gets interrupted by Donna walking up to him with a box of toys.

" Can you take these downstairs?" She asks, her unpleasant and nasally voice trying to disrupt his conversation.

He gives Donna the one minute finger as he continues to plead JB as if his life depends on it, but Donna doesn't give up. She continues to nag Steven until he's nearly on the brink of finally telling her off.

" Will you... please. Just give me a minute?" Steven asks as he claps his hands together.

Over her shoulder, his eyes find a man who rode the same bus with him, just sauntering into the museum. Couldn't possibly be a coincidence. Too many things aren't adding up. There's no way it's a coincidence.

Steven walks away from Donna, ignoring whatever insult she has loaded to follow the man from the bus in the blue blazer. He wearily follows him, each of his steps more careful than the last, fearful that he could activate some sort of booby-trap. He finds himself in a more secluded part of the museum, the exhibits standing tall and all alone. Steven seems to have lost the man, but someone else has found him.

" So, you really do work here."

The voice makes Steven jump and turn around to be met with the long haired man with a cane who seems to be circling him like he's prey.