11

One morning, Steven wakes up with a particularly large headache. He groan as he steps out of bed, forcing his body to move. He squints his eyes as his hands cup his head, attempting to soothe the headache. He goes about his morning routine on autopilot. He gets dressed and feeds his fish. He makes himself a quick breakfast with some fruit. As he slices a banana, his eyes glance over to the kettle resting on the stove, and his eyes widen. He quickly drops the knife and runs out the door to get two cups of coffee from the shop down the block. He runs back to the building and takes the lift to the 5th floor, then runs up the stairs and knocks on the only door on the 6th floor.

He waits as he catches his breath, waiting with a smile. A few minutes go by, and he knocks again.

" Ellooo, Cleooo?" He calls out as he knocks, " I've got our coffees. You up yet, love?"

Silence. Complete an utter silence.

A frown forms upon his lips, so he pulls his phone out from his pocket and dials her number.

It rings, and it rings, and it rings... but she never picks up. It takes him to her voicemail. His from remains on his lips and his puts his phone back into his pocket. He looks at her door once last time before a sigh escapes his lungs. He turns around and goes to the stairs, for he does still need to go to work.

But Cleo was in her flat. There was someone behind the door, but she is in no shape to answer it. Her mind and body still hold remnants of intoxication within them. The alcohol has not left her system entirely. She wakes up with a groan, the sunrays forcing her out of her slumber. She buries her head in her pillow, feeling as if she had been hit by a truck.

The previous night was spent at a bar with Baahir. He'd insisted on taking her out, as an apology for his actions. He started with shots, but it just kept coming. She did make it home safely, but at what cost.

Without lifting her head, her arm extends to her bedside table and opens the drawer, reaching around for a bottle of pain killers. She finds it and brings to back to her. She opens the bottle and swallows the pill dry, then sets it back on the table. And once she feels like she's not currently dying, she lifts her head up off of the pillow.

Cleo summons the energy to leave her bed to walk into the kitchen, on her way finding her things scattered in the hall. She sees her purse laying by the front door with her phone peering out. She ignores it for now, desperately needing a caffeine fix. She makes herself a cup of coffee and feeds Ana, then sits down in her favorite chair. She turns on the TV as she enjoys her drink, wanting to watch something mindless and funny, so opts for a sitcom. She lets out small bits of laughter whenever jokes about Ross being a paleontologist come up.

Eventually, Cleo gets up to gather her things. She grabs her purse, and in it, she grabs her phone. She opens the lockscreen to see a mix of messages and mixed calls from Baahir and Steven, two completely and insanely different men in her life.

Her thumbs tap along the screen to send a text to Steven.

(Sorry for missing you today. I'm a bit hungover. Coffee's on me next time.)

She sees the typing bubble come up, and moments later she gets a text back.

(How bout I take you out Friday at 7? My treat.)

As her eyes comb over the text, she wonders if it was Steven who sent it, for she truly cannot imagine those words leaving his mouth. But alas, she texts back.

(It's a date.)

She puts down her phone, a smile now dawning her lips. Cleo gets back into her chair, and soon Ana jumps up on her lap and begins to purr. She gently pets the soft black cat as her eyes aimlessly land on the TV in the room, continuing to play FRIENDS.

Control | Moon Knightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें