42 | Nightmare

"Hajime... today was so exhausting," Komaeda said, walking into the kitchen.

"Why? What happened?"

"Too much cooking... I mean, I love cooking, but I wanna do other things too. I made lunch for Kenichi and dinner for us and then I have to make a bento for him now,"

"You don't have to make dinner for me. I can make food for myself, alright? I love the food you make, but if it's too much for you, then don't overwork yourself. It's not like you're a stay-at-home dad, you go to work too,"

"Hm... but I wanna make food for you. I can show my love for you every day like that,"

Hinata smiled. "I know, but I don't want you to to be exhausted every day like you are right now,"

Kenichi walked into the kitchen. "I'm ready for bed, daddy!"

Komaeda smiled brightly. He was so adorable.

"Papa, why did you look sad before?"

"I was just a bit tired because of how much food I made today. And I need to make food for you to eat for breakfast tomorrow,"

"How much food did you make?"

"I made lunch for you, dinner for all of us and breakfast this morning, but that was just toast and now I'll make a bento for you,"

"Hm... what if you make a lot lot lot of lunch so that there's still some left for dinner?" Kenichi proposed.

Komaeda smiled. "That's a great idea! You're so clever!" He pat his head.

"Yay!! I love you, papa!"

The pale man gasped and felt his eyes begin to water. He hugged Kenichi tightly. "I love you too!!"

"Daddy, come hug us too!"

Hinata got up and wrapped his arms around his husband, who was still holding their son.

"Papa, can you read me a bedtime story tonight?"

"Of course,"

-

An hour later, Komaeda laid in bed, asleep. Hinata was spooning him from behind. He was still awake when the door quietly opened.

"Daddy?" Kenichi whispered.

Hinata sat up, trying to be a quiet as possible. "Yeah?"

"I-I had a nightmare,"

The brunet pat a space on the bed next to him. "Come here, buddy,"

Tw: mentions of former domestic ab//se

The little boy climbed onto the bed. "I dreamed my real Daddy was mad at me and he punished me again and then he yelled at mommy. And then you were also mad at me and yelled at Papa and did what my real daddy did to mommy,"

Hinata's face got serious. Kenichi's father had been abusive. He knew that. But he didn't know the exact things he had done. "Uh... what did your real father do to your mother?"

"He slapped her and he kicked her and locked her outside,"

"You don't have to worry about that anymore. I would never, ever hurt you or Nagito,"

"But daddy said it's what daddies are supposed to do,"

"It definitely isn't. Your... your father was a bad person, Kenichi. He was a bad father and a bad husband. But I'm neither of those things, okay? And please don't ever use him as a role model, alright?"

Tw over

"Mhm." He nodded. "Can we cuddle now?"

"Of course." Hinata opened his arms and the little boy climbed into them. "There you go." He rubbed his back.

"I love you too, daddy. Not just papa,"

Hinata smiled. "I love you too. We should buy you a bike together,"

"Ooh... I want a bicycle! A red one! With flames!"

"Hey, shhh. Nagito's asleep. We have to whisper, okay?"

"Oh. Sorry,"

"It's fine, I don't think he woke up,"

-

That Saturday, Kenichi put on his shoes and jacket. So did Hinata.

"Where are you two going?" Komaeda asked.

"Daddy's gonna buy me a bike!"

"Oh, right. I forgot," Komaeda said. "Well, have fun then." He smiled. "I'll see you later." He kissed Hinata's cheek.

"Yeah. See you, babe,"