Chantelle scoffs and rolls her eyes. “Ignoring Mr Arrogant! Haden, the girl likes you, obviously. Just give her time,” she offers, before going back to sucking Kevin’s face off.

               “Okay!” I call loudly, getting everyone’s attention, “moving away from my nonexistent love life, what’s going on with you guys?”

               “Nothing much. I got like a dozen high school girl’s numbers. They’re like a crazy mob,” Jeremy murmurs, shaking his head.

               “Actually, they’re like rabid investors, and we, my friends, are amazing commodities!” Ethan announces, raising his glass. With a chuckle, we toast and we pretty much spend the next two hours laughing and recounting old high school stories.

***

               “Haden! I think it’s your phone,” Ethan calls from the table. I had left my phone on the table when Jeremy challenged me to a round of pool.

               “Leave it. Can’t be important,” I call back, planning my next shot.

               “Okay, but Jessica won’t be pleased,” he calls temptingly.

Jeremy grins and in a moment, I’m back at the table, taking the call. My friends chuckle at my reaction and make horribly kissy faces. “What’s up Jess?” I ask as nonchalantly as possible, only to the amusement of my mates.

               “Hey handsome,” Jessy slurs, giggling slightly.

               “O-kay...is it safe to assume you want me to come pick you up?” I ask.

               “You’re so smart and funny,” she sighs. Yup, she’s completely wasted.

               “Okay, I’ll come right over Jess. If your friends are as drunk as you are, tell them not to drove, alright? I’ll send them home,” I offer.

               “Loooove you,” she murmurs, giggling hysterically.

I slide my phone shut and shake my head. “I’ve got to go, people. Jess is completely wasted,” I inform them, grabbing my jacket.

               “Bros and Chantelle before whores, my man,” Kevin calls from his corner. “Not that Jessica is a whore or anything,” he quickly adds.

               “Well bros I really got to go before Jessica gets into some random car. She’s really that wasted,” I call over my shoulder, heading to my car.

***

               “Jessy?” I call walking into Laguna.

               “Helooooooooooooo,” Jessy murmurs, smiling at her table. She’s sitting alone and playing with an empty plate or something.

               “Where are your friends, babe?” I ask, offering her my hand.

               “What friends?” she asks back, studying my face intently. “You’re a lot prettier than most of the girls I know!” she suddenly exclaims, running a finger along my jaw.

I feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment as people in the club stare and snicker at us. “Alright Jessy, let’s go home,” I murmur.

I gently load her in my car and fasten the seat belt before getting in myself. I’m on the highway when Jess’ hand suddenly worms its way onto my thigh, shocking me. My car swerves under my shocked hands, barely dodging another car.