prologue

"Big brother!"

Y/N turned his head as he stared at his little brother, Arata, running towards him. The 3-year-old had just gotten better from his recent illness, and the first thing he wanted to do was go outside and play with his 7-year-old brother.

The older one smiled, his (e/c) eyes settling with gentleness as the younger one hugged him by the waist. He ruffled Arata's hair, which resembled Y/N's own (h/c) locks. Arata thrusted up his tiny arms as he grinned at his older brother.

"Look, big brother, I'm all better! I'm even taller! One day, I'm gonna be taller than you and Mommy!" Arata exclaimed, a bright, innocent grin on his face. Y/N chuckled.

"I can tell. We won't know if you're all better until we play." Y/N smirked as he held up the soccer ball in his hands. Arata grinned excitedly, his eyes brightening.

"Yay!!" Arata grabbed Y/N's hand as he laughed.

To think that it was just yesterday that Arata was in his bed, breathing hard and burning up with an intense fever. Not the worst though. Last week, he was coughing up blood and suffering with each breath.

I know what you're thinking. If it was that bad, why didn't he go to the hospital?

And there's a simple answer.

He couldn't.

Y/N lived with his brother and mother. They didn't live in the nicest community. Or the richest. Hospitals were way too expensive for them. The best they could do was some cheap medicine from a nearby drug store.

Y/N could've sworn it was only making things worse.

But beggars can't be choosers.

So this is the best they can do.

"Y/N?"

The said boy turned to look at his mother, who was back from her job. He smiled gently at his parent.

"Hi, Mama!" The boy smiled as he went up and hugged her. She giggled as she ruffled his (h/c) hair. Her soft fingertips scratched all the right spots.

"Where's Arata?" She asked, looking around.

"He got tired after playing soccer. He's sleeping for right now, but he always wakes up when he hears your voice." Y/N laughed.

"Mama?" The two turned to see Arata standing from the hallway, rubbing his eyes. Y/N and his mother deadpanned at the boy's accurate guess.

"Heheh, speak of the devil."

"Hahaha, hi, Arata." His mother stood up and picked up her youngest son. She kissed his head and booped his nose, making him laugh. Y/N went over to them, a smile on his face. His mom knelt down and slung her arm around the boy. "Bear hug!!"

"Hahahaha!!"

The three laughed as they snuggled into each other. Y/N enjoyed these moments with his family. His mom worked hard at her job with her ungrateful boss. Minimum wage can only last so long. She worked hard and long, and only to come home to have to take care of her two kids without pay.

One always sick, one always troubled.

Every moment is hard.

But when they're together, every moment is precious.

"Big brother! When I grow up, I wanna be a hero!"

Arata told his brother that often. And Y/N would always ask: