“Ignore them,” Haden whispers, sensing my discomfort.

I fidget a little. “Don’t you care that they’re talking about us?” I ask softly, keeping my face buried in his chest so I don’t have to see who is whispering.

               “Why would I? I don’t even know them,” he answers simply, dipping me.

He releases me and I step away. I feel a pang at the sudden distance, but try my best to ignore it. My face is burning! Everyone is staring...

Haden takes my hand and leads me back to the far end of the hall. I think he was worried to leave me alone. I suppose I kinda looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

               “Ignore them,” he repeats.

I nod my head, just to appease him. But he’s right. Why should I care what others think, right?

               “Ladies and gentlemen, we’ve come to the highlight of our little dance; the best dressed nominees. So let’s have Haden Carter, Mathew Brian, Alexander Smith, Nick Andrews and Michael Morris up on stage for the guys. As for the ladies, let’s have Katherine Elliot, Amanda Smith, Chantelle Adams, Stacy Hurley and Jessica Aubry on stage,” Kenneth, the emcee, calls from behind his podium.

I follow the guys onto the stage embarrassedly. There are cat calls and whistles and clapping and whole lot of glaring. Darn it! I wish I was watching the guys on stage and not on stage myself.

               “Okay beautiful people, I’ve got the votes in and two of you are about to be named the best dressed or rather most popular, wouldn’t you agree?” Kenneth calls to the cheers of the rest of the school in the hall.

               “So this is a no brainer, sorry guys, but Haden Carter, you win!” he shouts. More cheers, and Haden grinning happily. The rest of the guys leave the stage, so now it’s Haden and us five girls on stage. “Ladies, it was a real close one, but Amanda Smith, you win!”

Amanda looks really good. I can’t grudge her the win. I do, however, dislike the way she’s eyeing Haden. I mean, I know I haven’t decided anything yet...but still!

               “Okay, let’s let the sexiest students have the dance floor to themselves!” Kenneth encourages. Haden takes Amanda’s outstretched hand and leads her down the stairs and to the dance floor.

And then they start dancing. Haden’s being perfectly gentlemanly and stuff, but I think Amanda may be liking it a little too much. She’s got her face buried in the crook of Haden’s neck. And I notice gleefully, that Haden seems slightly uncomfortable.

               “She’s so close to Haden’s neck, I’m starting to wonder if she’s a succubus,” Alex murmurs to Matt, chuckling.

               “Well, I think we can safely add another name to Haden’s extremely long list of fans, don’t you agree Jess?” Matt asks.

               “Totally agree,” I mumble. I honestly don’t know if I’m jealous or not. I mean, I don’t like him dancing with her...but I don’t feel mad or anything. It’s more like I think he doesn’t belong with her.

The song winds to a close and the moment the final note resounds, Haden immediately lets go of Amanda. He walks back to me and puts the sash he got around me instead. “You’re the most beautiful person in this room. You deserve this,” he murmurs casually, shrugging in response to my questioning look.

Matt nudges Alex and the both of them share a meaningful look before Matt clears his throat. “Hey, I just realised we’ve got two cars. Alex and I want to hit the theatres. Would you mind riding with Haden, Jess?” he asks innocently.