Miya Osamu - tick. thump. pt 2

Start from the beginning

Daydreams. Deep thought. Daydreams. Deep thought.

"I'm in the park, on the swings," you said. "Birds sing, and children laugh, but I'm alone. I live for the feeling of falling and can't wait until it happens again. I really like the park in the mornings when no one is there; when the sun is just starting to shine and everything feels brand new."

Your replies are always shorter than his answers, afraid that you would say too much. In a way, it was easier being extremely vague because you had no doubts that Osamu knew what you were saying. Some conversations were easier than others. Some conversations were painfully awkward and led to dead ends, but nothing felt like a waste of time or a stolen moment. You had only known each other for a couple of days; maybe some things didn't feel right, but nothing felt wrong.

"Take me there?" he asked. It was interesting to see what truths he pulled out of your daydreams.

"Maybe."

He smiled. "'Maybe' is better than no."

Every smile was anything brick that you painfully laid. Osamu's smile held for another moment and slowly shifted to a quizzical look. "What is it?"

Did something on your face give it away? Did your doubt seep through? The same question that popped in your head whenever you saw him: Did he tell Airi yet? He would've told you if he did. Would he tell you?

You swallowed and opened your mouth to ask. Just get it over with, you thought.

"How are my least favourite employees?" your dad called out as he pushed the door open with a rough swing, which rebounded against the wall creating a loud slam.

Osamu, who had been looking at you, jumped, and the broom fell to the floor.

Your dad shook his head and tsked. "Slacking off, I see."

You scoffed. You weren't sure if you were happy about your dad's interruption, but it did snap your brain back to quips and easy conversation. "If we're your least favourite employees, then who's your favourite? You don't have a long list to choose from."

Your dad picked up the broom, handed it to Osamu, and then placed bags of groceries — both for your home life and the restaurant — on the counter you just cleaned. "Well, your mom, for sure."

You heard a hard thump before you saw your dad's back pinched forward and his face pinched in pain. Your mom stood at the entrance and your body was in a throwing stance. You glazed over the counter and saw an apple not far from where your dad was.

Osamu snorted and covered his face with his hand.

"I'm not an employee, you piece of shit," your mom sneered. "I'm co-owner, and you keep saying crap like then I'll demote you to employee."

Your dad lightly laughed, but his eyes were scared. "Sorry. You know I love you."

"I love you too," your mom said angrily, placing the remaining bags on one of the tables. "Put the groceries away."

She smiled politely at Osamu. "I'll be upstairs," she said. She exited the shop and used a separate entrance to go to the complex above the shop where the three of you lived.

You leaned closer to your dad. "Looks like you're going to be on the list soon enough. Can you still have a least favourite employee when you're one of them?"

"I can, and it's you." Your dad glared and tried to rub his back. He dramatically sniffled and whipped away non-existent tears. "Put the groceries away. My back hurts."

You scowled. "No, it doesn't."

Your dad nodded at Osamu as he walked out the door. "This is why you're my least favourite employee."