Hinata Shoyo - Moment in the Sun

AU: Regular

AU: Regular

Tags/ Warnings: GN! Reader, very simple and little plot, post-timeskip

Word Count: 1.9k

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

The last memories you had of Hinata Shoyo were of your break up.

You had more joyful, hopeful memories of him, of course, but none were as defining as this one.

The sun descended into the water, a bright orange muting into the dull ripples of the sea. It would have been a peaceful moment if not for the tightness in your throat. Hinata held both of your hands and stared into your eyes. He had held them desperately; his neatly filed nails digging into your hands as if he knew it would be the last time he would get to hold you so closely.

His usually bright eyes had gone glossy and wide—innocent as if he couldn't believe what was happening and didn't know how to stop it.

"Please don't cry," you whispered. "I will cry if you do and we'll both be sad and won't have each other to lean on."

"Then we can just stay," Hinata said fiercely. His words held a conviction that unnerved you. He would do it. He would miss his plan to Brazil and his opportunity to improve on volleyball. You wouldn't let that happen. You also wouldn't do that yourself, not with your own opportunities hanging over you. You wanted them just as much as Hinata wanted to go to Brazil; it was unfair to the both of you to give it up. "We can stay here and be together; stay here and nothing will change."

You smiled and shook your head. "You know we can't."

"We can."

"No," you said. "You need to go just as much as I need to stay. You say that nothing will change, but missing out on what we want is changing something and it might not be for the better. At least with this, we'll be happy."

Hinata's shoulders slouched and his head leaned in close to you. Even with the cool breeze, you felt his warmth radiating towards you. He scoffed but no malice was laced in his voice when he said, "Just not together."

"Not together."

Hinata looked up. "How about a deal?"

You furrowed your brow. "You want conditions for our break up? We're not getting a divorce. I don't think we have assets to divide up."

He laughed, which made you smile. "A small condition. Come to the airport with me tomorrow. We don't break up now; we break up at the airport. Let's just enjoy right now, together."

"You make great deals."

You let go of one of his hands and held the other one as you ran to the water.

Only the sound of laughter and happiness filled the air as the sun disappeared past the sea. The time between night and day would come together to remember this moment and none of the sorrow that would follow.