Bokuto & Akaashi - Conch Shells

Au: Mermaid

Au: Mermaid

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN!Reader, a brief reference to an attempted suicide of a long since past relative not heavy at all, hate against plastic

Word Count: 2.1k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

You weren't fond of humans. They were messy, destructive, and inconsiderate. Seeing remnants of their presence from the archways of your home never failed to make your skin crawl. Thinking it was seaweed at the age of four, you nearly choked on a green plastic bag until your mother managed to wrangle it out from between your teeth.

Remembering the taste, you shivered, scrunching up while pushing past a shoulder. The stranger's skin brushed against yours. So scratchy.

Grabbing a water bottle from a kiosk, you dropped a few worn coins on the counter and zipped over the communal beach showers. You stepped in, letting the freshwater roll over your skin. The pair of little starfishes attached to your necklace squirmed happily at the added moisture. You filled the bottle up for later.

You weren't fond of humans, but you were sent ashore on a mission, so you had to bear it.

Tearing the conch shell off of your belt, you gave it a shake and lifted it to your ear while you walked through the least crowded areas by the beach.

"Pick up, caudal-fins. I know you can hear me. This thing has a permanent connection."

There was a whooshing on the other end before you heard something take hold of the paired shell. "Jeez, harsh. No need to get your tail in a twist."

"Tetsu, if you don't give me the information I need, I will get back in the water and strangle you with my tail."

"Okay, okay. Calm down."

"I've been up here for three days, so help me, I will do it."

"Okay! By the elders' accounts, you're looking for two people that would be part of the Fukuro clan."

"The damn Owls?! I shouldn't be surprised."

"Listen, you Snake, this would've happened over a century ago. We wouldn't even have been able to notice someone left then. We actually had the numbers to afford it."

You groaned, finding a bench to sit on while bouncing a leg. "Do we know anything else? Maybe you should give the shell to Suguru; he probably has some answers."

"Like hell! I don't care if you're a part of the same clan. I'm closer to the elders anyways."

"Then who am I looking for, huh?!"

"Uh, hold on. Kenma!"

You waited, listened to the shift of water in your ear and off the shore in gentle waves.