a broken watch tell a tale

1

1

Imani

Racing towards love isn't just a figure of speech today — it's my morning ritual as I sprint home from my run, the crisp breeze caressing my skin with its gentle touch.

     "Morning, Imani," a familiar voice calls out, interrupting my thoughts as I approach my building. I glance over to see my neighbor, Elijah, gearing up for his own morning run.

     "Good morning, Elijah," I reply, slowing my pace.

     "Good run?"

    "Yeah," I affirm with a nod and a smile as he quickens his stride, continuing along the path I just returned from. "Have a good day!" I call after him as he waves in acknowledgment.

     My morning run is my lifeline, a means to release the tension that builds up within me during stressful times. Some days, a brief five-minute jaunt is all it takes to soothe my soul, while on other occasions, like today, I feel compelled to extend my run to another hour.

     By the time I reach my apartment door, I'm drenched in sweat and panting for breath, but any exhaustion melts away as I push the door open. Stepping into the living room, my breath catches in my throat at the sight that greets me.

     A red trail of rose petals stretches out before me, leading from the doorway into the living room. It is so beautifully arranged that it almost looks like a work of art, with the petals arranged in a perfectly symmetrical pattern.

     My eyes follow the path, taking in the decorations that surround me - colorful balloons, twinkling fairy lights, and small, thoughtful touches that I know must have taken him days to plan.

     How did he do this in a span of two hours?

     As I reach the end of the trail, my eyes meet my husband's, who is standing in the center of the living room with a gift wrapped in glittering silver paper. His smile is wide, and I am breathless for a moment, holding my gaze to him.

     He is all six feet with tousled mix of brown and blond hair, ocean-colored eyes, and sensuous full lips. He has that kind of attractiveness that makes you stop and blink. He certainly made me stop the first time I met him, and I haven't been able to look away.

     Five years of being together, married for three, and he is still the most gorgeous man I have ever met. My heart is filled with love for him that sometimes it scares me how much I am willing to do for him. He is my entire life, my existence. He is the love of my life, my husband, standing in our living room looking perfect in his suit with a cheeky smile on his face. He is perfect, and he is mine.

I love him so much that I can't remember when I didn't. I love him so much that I gave up everything for him, and I never regretted a single thing.