XVII. The Twists of Time

TW: blood, death, decapitation, fighting

Two years prior...

"No. Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no," Scott said breathlessly, staring at the wreckage surrounding the spire Xornoth's crystal had rested on. The room was blasted apart and on fire, burning into a pile of charcoal before his eyes. A cold hand seized his heart, a bitter irony considering his current 'Elsa Arc'. He dashed out of the crumbling basement to his quarters, the air behind him freezing as he went.

He opened the concealed closet behind his bed and withdrew the Rune Blade hidden within it. He held the deadly blade delicately, aware that any slip-ups would result in his premature death. The light blue runes shimmered on its wide and flat surface, the hefty weight and sharp edges perfect for their intended purpose: cleaving into the wielder's enemies. Lightning struck a nearby cliff, and it erupted into flames. His stomach churning from nerves, Scott ran toward the calamity.

Xornoth was already there, his demonic face stretched in a sadistic smile. Gone was the brother Scott had once known, replaced by this hostile monster. Aeor made a disapproving noise as he scanned the demon through Scott's eyes. The god – or whatever – had forced Scott into being his host, which resulted in the infamous 'Elsa Arc' and the injury of his friends and relationships.

Shut up, Aeor, Scott thought angrily, hiding the Rune Blade in his inventory before Xornoth could see it.

But do you not desire to know the reason behind your brother's corruption? Aeor thought back at him. It is Exor himself, you know. He has been my nemesis since birth. I have always been the better one, though.

Scott ground his teeth, streaming his frustration and anger directly at the being occupying part of his mind. I don't care who your nemesis is. I just want this to stop.

Well, if you think it would be helpful, Exor and I have been connected since the beginning of time... you recall the prophecy, do you not?

Scott knew the prophecy, all right. He had heard it constantly for months on end as event after event pointed to the catastrophe unfolding before his eyes. No, not at all. What prophecy? Surely not the one Lizzie's been on about for months, he snapped sarcastically.

Do not doubt a Watcher's omniscience. Xornoth has been listening wholeheartedly to Exor. You can see the power it has given him.

"Do I look like I care?!" Scott screamed, blocking Aeor out of his mind. Deep down, however, he knew the 'Watcher' was right. It was written in the oldest book of prophecies known to the server. Yet he was unsure how to remove the annoyingly snarky voice from his mind.

Xornoth's grin broadened at Scott's voice. "You don't care, brother? I can just do as I like?" he asked tauntingly as more tentacles crept out of the ground.

"I wasn't talking to you!" Scott yelled back, raising his sword. "I do care about what you do, 'cause I'm gonna stop it!"

Xornoth laughed slowly, waving his hand as blood-red magic surrounded it. He flung it outward, trapping Scott in a sphere of malicious energy. The air burned inside, causing his hand to slip on his sword. "You can't do anything, brother," Xornoth said coolly. "Your ice magic is ineffective. The wizard who helped you won't be able to combat my strength. You will watch from a crystal as I destroy your friends one by one."

An idea began to form in the back of Scott's mind as he took in Xornoth's words. His fingertips brushed the hilt of the Rune Blade. Xornoth's eyes narrowed as he drew it from his inventory, holding it in front of him.

"Your pathetic sword won't help you from there. You can't intimidate me," he snarled.

"That's the difference between us," Scott whispered, his breathing quickening. "I- I don't always put myself first and, sure, I've made plenty of mistakes... And I've hurt people. But I always did my best. And for the first time, in a long time, I finally know what I need to do for my friends. Because I don't need you in here to kill you when I'm right here."