Chapter Twenty.) Potato Costume

Start from the beginning

"Just get the job done!"

"Okay, gosh!"

Silence.

"I'm hungry."

"Vanessa!"

-

I glance up at the tall, intimidating building. It had took me forever to waddle over here in a potato costume through the crowds, but I made it. Tyler said the James guy's office was on the 100th floor, and I was absolutely terrified of heights. Frick...

"Vanessa."

I screamed at the sudden voice in the quiet alley and a hand reached up and covered my mouth. I tripped over my feet and fell backwards in the potato costume, now unable to get up. I looked around for the voice.

"You scared me!" I glared at Keith. He was wearing all black, so he blended in well with the shadows. His long sleeved shirt was tight against his body, and my eyes wandered to his abs. He cleared his throat and I looked up at him.

"So, does everyone in the gang have nice abs?" I blurted. Frick! What is wrong with me?

He raises an eyebrow and looks down at his chest. "Well, I don't know about the others but yeah, my abs are pretty awesome."

I roll my eyes at him from where I'm laying down on the floor. I try to get up, but the potato costume is a little too big.

"Little help?" I say sheepishly, reaching out my arms. He shakes his head with a grin and grabs a hold of my arms. I try to ignore the little tingle that shoots through my body at his touch.

"Why are you here?" I ask when I get on my feet.

"Well, I figured you might need some help, seeing as you are a horrible spy."

I gasp, offended. "Hey! I thought you made me a spy because you think I'm a good one."

"No...I hired you to be a spy because nobody would suspect you of crime. You're not even at the right building."

"What? Sure I am! The building is right here," I pointed to the building I was standing near. He takes my arm and points across the street.

"That's King headquarters."

"Oh."

He shakes his head. "Come on, princess."

He starts to make his way across the street. "So we're back to princess now?" I asked, waddling behind him in my costume.

He doesn't respond.

"I feel like a penguin," I complained as I finally made it across the street. He raises his eyebrows in amusement and gestures to the door. I pull on the handle, but it's locked.

"Pick the lock, idiot," he says

"Okay, geez," I muttered, pulling a Bobby pin from my hair. I think Tyler taught me how to do this once, but we were to caught up in creating our game...

But it couldn't be that hard, could it? I mean, all you have to do is stick in on there and wiggle it around...

Oh my god, that sounds dirty.

"Any day now."

I kneel in front of the door and stick the Bobby pin in the whole, moving it about. I felt awkward as Keith's stare bored into my potato back. When the door wouldn't click open, I got frustrated.

"Dammit," I mumbled, wiggling the pin. I must've done it wrong, because all of a sudden the Bobby pin halts and breaks off. I clench my fist in anger and my eye twitches.