Chapter Twenty Six

I woke up with a sense of excitement tingling in my bones. Today was the day we were going dress shopping for the masquerade ball. I rolled out of bed and got dressed, slipping into my best dress and combed my hair. I couldn't wait to meet up with my friends and go to Hogsmeade to find the perfect dress for the ball.

As I walked through the corridors of Hogwarts, I spotted Natty, Poppy, and Imelda waiting for me outside the Great Hall. They all looked stunning, dressed in their best outfits, and carrying bags of snacks for the day.

"Good morning, Ella," Natty said, grinning from ear to ear. "Are you ready to go shopping?"

I nodded, feeling a sense of anticipation bubbling inside me. "Absolutely! I can't wait to find the perfect dress for the ball."

We made our way to Hogsmeade, the streets bustling with students and locals enjoying the sunny weather. We headed straight to the dress shops, eager to find the perfect dress.

We had been searching for the perfect dress for hours with no success, until we stumbled upon a small, charming boutique. The bell above the door chimed as we stepped inside, revealing a treasure trove of dresses in various hues and designs. As we perused the racks, the shopkeeper greeted us with a friendly smile.

"Welcome, girls," she said, her voice warm and welcoming. "Are you looking for something special for the Masquerade Ball?"

We nodded eagerly, our eyes scanning the racks of dresses. I was looking through the rack when Natty called for my name.

"Look at this one!" Natty exclaimed, holding up a flowy purple gown. "It would be perfect for you, Ella."

I took the dress from her, admiring the intricate beading and delicate lace. "It's beautiful," I said, holding it up to my body to see how it would look. "But I don't know if it's the one."

As I scanned through the racks of dresses, my eyes landed on the most stunning emerald gown. The intricate lace bodice and delicate silk skirt flowed elegantly to the floor, and I knew it was the one. As I slipped it on, I felt it hug my figure in all the right places, making me feel elegant and sophisticated. I stood in front of the mirror and twirled around, feeling like a princess in a fairy tale. I couldn't resist placing my hands on the matching emerald necklace that Sebastian had given me, completing the perfect look.

My friends' reactions were priceless as they saw me in the emerald gown. Natty couldn't contain her excitement and gasped, "Oh, Ella, that's the one! It's perfect for you!"

Poppy nodded in agreement, her eyes full of admiration. "You look absolutely stunning, Ella. You're like a goddess," she said.

Imelda, with her sly smile, looked me up and down, "Looks like the Slytherins will have the best-dressed girl at the ball," she teased, earning a playful shove from Poppy. "Sebastian is going to be blown away when he sees you in that dress," Imelda added, grinning at me mischievously.

We continued our search through the dresses, trying on different styles and colours until each of the girls found their perfect dress. Natty settled on a bold red gown that accentuated her curves, giving her a fierce and confident look. Poppy chose a light blue dress, complementing her delicate features with an understated elegance. Imelda, staying true to her Slytherin roots, picked a shimmering black and silver gown that exuded an air of mystery and sophistication.

After paying for my dress, we left the shop and continued our shopping journey down the street. As we strolled, we spotted a quaint boutique with a stunning display of masks in its windows. They came in all shapes and sizes, adorned with feathers, glitter, and intricate designs, each one more beautiful than the last.

With a sense of excitement, we entered the shop, and the sweet aroma of lavender filled our noses. The walls were decorated with beautiful tapestries and paintings, and the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. As we browsed the masks, the friendly shopkeeper approached us, offering her assistance with a kind smile.

The shopkeeper's voice was soft and gentle as she asked, "Can I assist you, ladies?" We explained that we were searching for masks for the Masquerade Ball. Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she led us to a table adorned with masks of all shapes and sizes, from simple and elegant to elaborate and extravagant.

As we tried on the masks, we were filled with wonder and anticipation. Each mask was unique and beautiful, and we knew that we would make a statement at the ball. After trying on numerous masks, I finally discovered the perfect one. It was a delicate silver mask with intricate scrollwork and delicate crystals that shimmered in the light. As I gazed at myself in the mirror, I felt like a mysterious and captivating figure, ready to make a grand entrance at the ball.

We left the shop, our bags filled with dresses and masks, we felt a sense of excitement and anticipation. The Masquerade Ball was coming soon, and we couldn't wait to show off our beautiful dresses and masks.

But as we walked down the street, I accidentally bumped into someone, causing my shopping bag to nearly slip from my grasp. "Oh, I'm so sorry. Are you alright?" I turned to face the person I had collided with, my voice filled with genuine concern.

To my dismay, it was Hunter, wearing a sly grin that sent a shiver down my spine. "Well, well, well," he said, his eyes lingering on me in a way that made my skin crawl. "What do we have here?"

My gaze hardened as I met his eyes, refusing to let him see how much his presence affected me. "What in Salazar's name are you doing here, Hunter?" I asked, my voice dripping with ice.

Hunter's smirk only grew wider, his gaze moving over my body. "Just doing some shopping, like you. And might I say, you will look stunning in that dress," he remarked, his tone laced with an insidious charm gesturing the shopping bag in my hand.

I glared at him, my eyes narrowing. "Don't talk to me like that," I retorted sharply. "And don't you have something better to do than bother me?"

Hunter's smirk remained firmly in place, his arrogance radiating from every pore. "Oh, I have plenty to do," he replied with a sly wink. "But bothering you is just so much more fun. Maybe we can dance together at the Masquerade Ball?"

A surge of revulsion coursed through me at his audacity. "As you are already aware, I have a dance partner," I said, my voice firm and unwavering, hoping to make it clear that I had no interest in his advances.

But Hunter seemed undeterred by my words, his confidence unshaken. "We'll see about that," he said, his voice oozing with smugness. "I have a feeling that things are going to get very interesting at the Masquerade Ball."

Refusing to engage in further conversation with him, I turned on my heel and started to walk away, my body language speaking volumes. The girls, sensing my discomfort, quickly followed suit, their expressions mirroring a mixture of concern and unease.

But Hunter couldn't resist having the last word. "Until then, Ella," he called after me, his voice filled with an unsettling mix of amusement and intrigue.

I didn't look back, determined not to give him the satisfaction of seeing how much his presence affected me. The cool breeze brushed against my face as I quickened my pace, the sound of my own footsteps becoming a steady rhythm in my ears.

After a successful day of dress shopping, we made our way back to Hogwarts. I was eager to store my new dress and mask in my dorm room before meeting Sebastian and Ominis in the Undercroft for some games and relaxation.

Once in my room, I gently laid my dress and mask on the bed, admiring the elegant emerald gown and delicate mask. It was going to be the perfect outfit for the Masquerade ball, and I couldn't wait to see Sebastian's reaction when he saw me in it.

I freshened up before heading to the Undercroft, where I found Ominis already waiting for me. Although Sebastian was not yet there, I felt at ease engaging in our usual playful banter while we played Wizard's Chess to pass the time.