thirteen. nothing

| thirteen | nothing

Could you find a way to let me down slowly?
A little sympathy, I hope you can show me

Jung Yi Hyun was never the one to give up on his own. He was in high school when he suffered an lifelong injury and had to give up on his dream of becoming a baseball player. He had dedicated his entire life to playing baseball and just because of an accident, his entire life came crashing down. That was when he sat on the rooftop of his school, the day was bright and sunny, yet for him it felt like a stormy cloudy day.

The sunrays were pricking his skin, the light was blinding his vision and all he did was dangle his long legs as he sat on the edge of the rooftop. The police had gathered, there was an entire rescue operation being carried on and he could hear the sirens from below, yet he sat there unfazed.

That was when the brightest ray of sunlight walked towards him in the form of Yoon Saebom, the girl who was two years older to their class. She was smart, stubborn and had an attitude that always kept him on his toes. He knew she was trouble, the way she was often sleeping in class, or spoke back to the arrogant teachers and gave bullies a taste of their own medicine. He liked her, just not as much as he did when she sat besides him that day.

"Your life should not revolve around a single thing," She had told him, shaking her head with a cute smile. "So what if baseball is not the end goal, something will defintely pop up. You just cannot quit before trying."

And then she threw him off the roof, the adrenaline he felt from that jump gave him the taste of what life really was. He watched her as he fell, for two seconds, all he did was watch her smile and that was when it was decided that baseball did not matter anymore.

Yoon Saebom did.

He loved her, from long back, but he never acted on his feelings until the entire apartment fiasco happened and they got married under the pretext of getting the apartment. The lockdown and Mad Human Disease made him realise how much Saebom meant to him and then their twins became a even more big of a reason to keep living.

Saebom had passed out from exhaustion post delivery and it was Yi Hyun who had both his babies in his arms, awake the entire night only because he was very concerned about his little ones. They were his only priority, his babies, his world.

But everything fell apart six years back when they had to part away for a reason that now seems stupid and unimportant. All of it flashed in front of his eyes, just like they say it does when death is creeping behind you. The parting away, staying separately, watching the kids grow up without each other and their parents, the extinction of their happiness and the constantly barging sadness.

The spheres were many, they were feasting on the dead bodies of what seemed like the store manager and employees, but when Yi Hyun walked on the scene, and the door bell rang indicating his arrival, all of them gathered to pounce on him. He knew this was the end, but he would let harm to befall on the kids out there. One of them was his own, but the rest were kids too and their parents were hoping to see them again so he did what any father would do.