Chapter 7: Together or not at all

Cloves POV
Me and Cato have been living together for days now and all of a sudden there was a knock on our door. We were snuggled on the bed and I said "I'll get it" and went to the door to open it. To my horror it was the last person I wanted to see it was my dad. I panic and yell "Cato!"

Cato comes running out "clover! Is everything alright??" He says before his eyes land on my dad "you have 5 seconds before I slam this door in your face" Cato says with his jaw clenched while pushing me behind him "just let me have my daughter you asshole what I do to her is none of your business" then all of a sudden Cato slams the door in his face "pretty sure that was 5 seconds" he says with a shrug and I was hyperventilating "cato what if he tries to break in!" "Hey hey you have me and your knives" I suddenly remembered I can protect myself too!

The day of the reaping
I walk to the center of the district where we do the reaping. I remember what me and Cato planned I won't volunteer this year. Farina and Collin are going to be pissed but I don't care as long as me and Cato can be together...

"Hello hello" Crystal the escort says I've heard the speech many times so I just zone out until she starts walking to the girls tribute bowl "Clove Kentwell" What?!?! This wasn't supposed to happen I feel like having a panic attack when walking to the stage. No one volunteered as I was chosen for the games anyway. Oh my god oh my god...how bout Cato? Will he still volunteer?? "Now for the boys..Jonathan White" "i volunteer!!" I hear a boy scream I look to see already knowing who it probably was and to no surprise it was Cato...I was scared part of me was scared that maybe he would kill me...I know I could never kill him

He came up with a cold look and so I put one on too...he couldn't be mad at me right? "Alright shake your hands you two" I reached over and clenched my jaw as he did the exact same. I had been waiting in the room where they say goodbyes when farina and Collin come in. "Oh clove! I guess it was fate that you'd be in this years hunger games!" She says excitedly "yea...I guess it was" I say with a sigh.

As they put us in the train we meet our mentors say our greetings and put our stuff in our temporary rooms. But me and Cato haven't spoken... I guess we're not gonna talk about our plan going wrong...but we absolutely have to talk about our plan for the games. "Cato...we need a plan, you know for the games" I say while sitting next to him and he takes a sigh "clover...I have no intention of winning the reason I volunteered is so I could protect you" I was flabbergasted. "What no! I'm not going to let you die in there!" "Clover what other choice do we have" he asks giving me a small and accepting smile "I don't know! I'll find a way alright! Together or not at all." "Alright clover...together or not at all"