00 | Drowned

WARNING: Mentions of blood. Death. Mature language.

N O V A 

A woman was trying to get to her feet with the help of a paramedic at the side of the pavement but failed miserably. Several people surrounded the woman, worried about her. She had no serious harm done to her, but she fell and probably sprained her ankle. There was the blaring of the ambulance and police sirens. The police cars were blocking the vehicles so that they did not drive forward. All the cars on the road honked. People were starting to get impatient.

The paramedic examined the woman's ankle. His eyes were clouded with worry and his inexperienced hands trembled. He linked his arms with the woman, helped her get up, and made her sit on the bench that was nearby.

So much hassle for such a small incident. 

I scoffed and looked further forward to the road to see the real reason why the police and ambulance rushed here. There it was. In the real accident, a red car turned upside down. I was two cars back, but I could still see the gas leaking from the flipped car.

It could cause an explosion. The ambulance and police cars were on the side and in front of us. The paramedics rushed out of the vehicle and ran towards it to see if anyone was injured. Police officers struggled to keep the people calm and tried to talk to them in the calmest possible way. 

The onlookers were filled with a mix of curiosity and concern as they watched the scene unfold. Some bystanders began to speculate about what might have caused the accident, while others anxiously awaited updates on the condition of those involved. 

The doors of the car were opened ajar, and a hand hung loose from the passenger's seat. Blood dripped down the pale hand. One of the paramedics brought a stretcher, slowly opened the passenger door completely, and took out a woman. I could hear shouting and a few gasps.

What was all this extra commotion about?

I wondered if I should cut in and ask about the situation. As I was debating, the door to the driver's seat was finally opened. No, not opened; smashed open.

How dumb are these people? What if the glass hits the person in the driver's seat?

A man fell out of the car and smacked his head on the road. A few people gasped and a lot of screams were heard at the sudden horror.

The paramedics quickly attended to him, trying to assess the severity of his injuries. 

I huffed at people's stupidity and checked myself if I was wearing my seatbelt. I rolled down my window, took out a cigarette and a lighter from the dashboard and lit it up. The taste of the cigarette mingled with my thoughts, offering a temporary escape from the chaos outside.

The people were getting impatient and started blaring their horns as loudly as possible.

I hate loud sounds.

After being placed on a stretcher, the man who had fallen out of the red car was wheeled in the direction of the ambulance. He didn't appear to be reacting in any way. He was most likely deceased. I observed some of the paramedics shock the woman on the stretcher with a defibrillator.

They used the defibrillators to deliver another electric pulse after she had already responded once, but she stopped responding after that. Unfortunately, by the time the medics tried again, the woman was long gone. Some of the others who had gotten out of their automobiles to see what was going on appeared astonished when they spotted the woman. 

The crowd started to gather around the ambulance, their murmurs filled with shock and disbelief. It was clear that the woman's condition was grave, and the paramedics continued their desperate attempts to revive her. The tense atmosphere hung heavy in the air as everyone anxiously awaited any sign of life. 

Two men came back from the scene and one of them had a distinct British accent. 

''I reckon the two of them had an affair'', said one of them. The other one who was a few centimetres taller just hummed and nodded. 

''Excuse me gentlemen'', I said as they crossed my car. ''Do you think you know what is going on there?'', I asked them.

The two men examined me for a few seconds as if they were debating whether I was trustworthy. ''Well, the woman is dead. It's the famous supermodel, Lia Lee. She was with Andrew Parker'', said the taller man. ''Y'know, the actor''

''They're gone?'', I questioned.

''Yeah, Lia's dead not sure about the actor'', said the shorter one and the two walked away. 

Well, that was an abrupt goodbye

As I reluctantly manoeuvred the car to make the U-turn, I couldn't help but feel a pang of frustration. The traffic was already congested, and this detour would only add to the delay. However, I knew that prioritizing punctuality was crucial, especially when it came to meeting my parents' expectations.

As I watched the cigarette fall onto the pavement, a wave of guilt washed over me. I knew that littering was harmful to the environment and vowed to be more mindful of my actions in the future.

__________________________________________________________

A/N: Please do not copy or translate my book without my permission. I put my own effort and hard work into this book. The images which are being used in my book are not mine, credit goes to the rightful owners.

This is also my first book, so respectful criticism is welcomed. Thank you.

Enjoy <3

__________________________________________________________