Thirty-seven | Undying

It was funny how life seemed to go in patterns. 

Circles usually. 

Actually, it wasn't funny. 

It was stressful and irritating. 

Sylvie ran her tongue across her teeth to rid her of any leaf matter while Amira read her Fate for the last time—Sylvie's words, not Amira's. After entering the cabin, Amira wouldn't even let her apologise. Instead, she just shoved a hot tea in her hand and made her drink every drop.

Sitting on the gurney, Rowan had used, she waited patiently as Amira hummed, looking at the pile of mush on the plate. Maybe she could ask what exactly the old shifter was looking for but thought better of it when Amira hummed thoughtfully. What was she even looking at?

"Ye went to the realm of the Fates. Alive. I dinnae ken how ye aren't dead, M'eudail, but well done."

Praise? Well, that was unexpected. After being a giant bitch to everyone, she was expecting a little more anger towards her. Perhaps her luck was changing. Or perhaps they understood how much she suffered and didn't blame her like she thought they would. Maybe she needed therapy again. Scratch that. She would book a session in Sagehill that week. 

Amira turned to plate into the light and squinted. "A dinnae get a sense yer fate is done, Lassie. Yer shifter magic is still there, under the surface. Ye know magic cannot be destroyed only changed."

Hmm. But there is always a catch, and Sylvie wasn't about to fall for it again. She deserved a little normalcy. Even she could admit to that.

"I've heard that, I guess."

"Perhaps ye can commune wi the Fates again. They could return yer gift." Amira's words hung in the air for a second before she spoke the fatal phrase. "For a price."

Not even contemplating it for a second, Sylvie shook her head vehemently and held back a laugh. How did Amira say precisely what she was already thinking? Either she was a genius, or Amira was psychic. 

"I really think I'm done messing with the Fates. I'll be a happy woman if I never 'commune' with them again. I've had enough Fate for a lifetime." 

It was true too. She'd rather live out a mundane life and die before helping them again. The division was gone, and the species were free to rebuild and exist harmoniously to their heart's content.

She thought she might want to move, though. Having her home central to the junction between Rowan's pack and her father's Vampires was starting to feel a little crowded.

Amira placed the plate on the bench and turned to her with a ghostly smile on her lips. "Dinnae be so sure. A lifetime for ye will be far longer than ye think."

Amira's knowing smile gave Sylvie pause, and she tentatively returned it. She hadn't thought of it like that. She didn't even think about her potential mortality or lack thereof.

Would she be immortal now?

Would Rowan be?

He was the species that had only lived a hundred and fifty years max. She couldn't bare outliving him for centuries. She swallowed and slid off the gurney. It was time to go before she thought herself into a panic attack.

 "I'll see you later then, Amira. Thank you, and I am truly sorry for how I spoke to you earlier."

The older woman's smile soothed her while simultaneously unnerving her. It seemed to say, 'I know something you don't.'

Sylvie smoothed her expression and slowed her breathing. Something about Amira's eyes caught her gaze. Their depths held a knowledge far older than the century and a half she was claiming as her age. What the-