One | Change

Sylvie stared blankly from the porch swing as Elias pulled away in his Lexus, waving one last time from the window as he disappeared from sight. 

She lifted her hand weakly to return the farewell but let it drop in her lap as the tears burned her eyes.

They'd married weeks ago, skipped a honeymoon for 'safety purposes', and since then, his responsibilities at the office had increased so much that he was driving there every second day, sometimes staying overnight. 

While she knew he was faithful, she couldn't help the very human jealousy that burrowed inside her each time it happened.

Elias often asked her to go with him, but she would just shake her head and remind him that corporate wasn't the place for her. 

She sighed and bit her lip, staring at the spot on the road his car last was. Maybe she should go with him next time, even if only to use the time alone as the forbidden 'honeymoon'. 

"He won't be long," Kian said from the doorway, making her jump a fraction. He moved like a shadow when he wanted to. 

Smiling with genuine pity, he reached out and brushed his fingers across her cheek, his gentle touch making her heart twist further. 

"I know," she groaned. "It just hurts. Every time." Her words sounded hollow in her ears as she stared up at his pretty face.

Rowan jogged across the lawn shirtless from the shifter cabins, the new builds wafting fresh pine and sawn wood scent. Sylvie inhaled and sighed as he pounded up the porch steps and offered her a sweaty kiss. When she only grunted in response, he kissed her again on the cheek, making sure it was an extra slobbery, sweaty one drawing a reluctant grin to her face. 

"Did you want to come and see the progress? We just finished the cabins and long drop."

She contemplated following him to see all his hard work when her belly cramped and Elias' mate mark tingled. It happened more often after their wedding and their sexy wedding night together. 

As if their bonding as a foursome triggered her abilities more, her mate marks would react strangely whenever she thought of one of them. Or all of them.

"Maybe later if that's okay." She splayed her hand across her collarbone and swallowed deeply, and Rowan curled his hand around her wrist.

"Are you in pain?"

"No... Not physical anyway."

Rowan hummed and sat on the porch between her legs, wrapping his arm around her calf and stroking her shin. "It must be quite intense for you. Your marks would drive you crazy, compelling you to stay close to your mate. But you have three."

She softly buried her hand in his long dark hair and rubbed his scaly. "Yeah, it is kind of confusing. I just want to chase after him, but I also feel rooted to the spot."

Rowan chuckled and turned his head, pulling her hand into his and kissing her palm. "You must love me a lot, then."

Kian cleared his throat from the door, and she turned to him, blushing, his wide eyes and raised brows drawing a laugh from her. "I love both of you, obviously."

"And I, you, Princess. Have you eaten yet?"

She sighed and stood, pulling Rowan up beside her.

"No-"

Rowan's head snapped to her. "It's midday."

"I just forgot."

"You've been forgetting a lot lately. There's food in the fridge," Kian took her hand and guided her inside. "I'm gonna go with Kerensa and strengthen the ward. Will you be okay today?"