Thirty-six | Free

Sylvie thought the challenges were over. She fought through the hard, dangerous, and sad days; everything should have been easy. She deserved easy.

But dressing appropriately to meet with an estranged father and mentor, a horde of traumatised vampires, shifters who idolised her and people that may or may not still be upset with her was a challenge all on its own.

She settled on a comfortable pair of pants she bought from the op shop what felt like years ago and a silky long-sleeved blouse. Strangely and almost sadly, she hadn't shrunk back to her post 'shifter marking' size, so Elias' old wardrobe wasn't an option.

It was a real shame. She would've rocked a suit.

Slipping her feet into a pair of expensive canvas plimsolls, she wandered into the lounge where her mates waited for her, each of them looking fine as hell.

"That's it, I'm not going," she turned to hide in the bedroom when Elias appeared at her side, grabbing her wrist.

"You look beautiful."

Kian appeared at her other side. "You really do."

"Perfect," Rowan added eagerly.

Sylvie sighed and nodded for the door. "I guess we should do this then. Before I chicken out."

"Do you want us with you?" Elias asked as they walked together to the door.

"Yes. For now. But I'll stand on my own. Okay?"

"Of course," Kian said while pulling the door open for her. He grinned as she passed through, giving him a quick kiss. Rowan followed behind and stopped suddenly at the door, the silence making Sylvie turn back.

"What?" Rowan asked in mock offence. "Don't I get one too?"

Kian tipped his head back and laughed, the sound bringing a smile to Sylvie's lips. Elias even chuckled as Kian straightened. "You want a kiss."

"Yep. Right here, magic man." He pointed at his lips, and Sylvie doubled over in laughter. Why were they being such dorks?

With a suppressed smile, Kian leaned forward and placed his lips on Rowans. They held for a brief second, and Rowan pulled back with an impressed look.

"Your lips are soft."

"And yours are rough. Would it kill you to moisturise?"

Kian closed the door behind them as Sylvie continued to laugh until her eyes watered. When Kian and Rowan gave each other a knowing look, Sylvie realised their theatrics were for her benefit, and she appreciated it. After all the drama and sadness, laughter was sorely needed.

"That was cute," she said with a huge sigh as the tears and giggle fit subsided. They walked across the lawn to the edge of the forest and hopped onto the worn dirt path past the spattering of cabins. The shifters were out, though, which made her belly flip. She was probably going to see them all at once. Dammit. No low-key introductions, then.

As they approached the newest structure, the Nest, voices carried through the trees. Elias tensed at her side, and she wondered briefly if he was nervous too. He hadn't had a chance to take to Magnus since the rescue, but they obviously had history. A deep one too.

"I'm going to go ahead and talk with the shifters," Rowan said quietly.

"Of course," Sylvie whispered back, kissing his cheek. "See you soon."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

He jogged away, leaving Sylvie staring after him. Mmm. That ass.