Thirty-six | Free

Start from the beginning

"Kalina."

Well, the spell was broken.

"Magnus."

She turned to look at her father when she noticed his green eyes were locked on the man at her side.

"Prince."

"General."

A few seconds dragged between them as Sylvie and Kian stood awkwardly to the side. Well, only Sylvie was awkward. The bond between her husband and father was obvious and almost enviable. No. she didn't envy it. She appreciated it. It was a good thing Elias had someone now.

Magnus stepped close and pulled Elias into an embrace, squeezing him until his arms lifted, and they held each other.

"It's good to see you, son." Magnus patted his back and let go, looking him up and down.

"You're a man now."

"Have been for a while," Elias quipped.

"Still a smart arse."

Sylvie pressed her lips together to stop a laugh when he looked over at her.

"We clearly have a lot to talk about."

There was a vaguely familiar look in his eye which reminded her of the foster family she had as an older teen. The one that was generally given to a daughter's boyfriend. Elias even had the nerve to look slightly embarrassed.

"Uh uh. Don't look at me like that."

"Kalina-"

"Magnus!"

"I am your father."

"Sperm donor."

His eyebrow twitched. "We will remedy that belief."

She shrugged. "Eventually, maybe. But for now," She gestured between Elias and him, "you and my husband seem like you have some chatting to do. So I'll see myself off."

Elias leaned down and pressed a kiss to her lips, and she smiled. "I love you."

"And I, you kit- Sylvie."

She snorted and spun, taking Kian's hand and dragging him to the nest building. Their feet swished through the crispy autumn leaves, and a gentle wind caressed them.

"Are they all fed now? They're not gonna try to eat us, right?"

Kian grinned at her and narrowed his eyes like he was thinking hard. "Mmm, No. I believe we're safe."

She nudged him and squeezed his hand. "Great."

Once they reached the front doors, Kian and Sylvie took a handle and pulled. Why they had to be so obnoxiously heavy was beyond her, but they did look fancy. Maybe it was something to do with keeping the sun out? Straight through the doors, they appeared to be in an empty foyer space of some kind. The wall furthest from them looked to be made of shiny metal. Weird.

"They're fridges, Sylvie."

"Oh." Floor to ceiling and full of blood. Of course. No need for a kitchen for a vampire. Kian squeezed her hand and pulled her to a smaller doorway where a wall of faces stood stock still staring at her.

She smiled awkwardly and waved. "Hi."

No one moved.

Kian had better be sure they were fed cause they looked about ready to eat them.

"Queen Sylvie!" Mila elbowed her way through the crowd and ran over to embrace her. Sylvie squeezed her and smiled as she whispered in her ear.

"Don't mind them. They don't know what to make of you. Especially after that resurrection stuff."