20 | The Fourth Ball

Start from the beginning

"Here, you forgot this," a low dark voice whispers in my ear.

No. It can't be. It can't.

Slowly, turning around and I am met with Hades' amused face. My eyes trail down to what is in his hand.

My dagger. The very same one I used to kill him.

I snatch it out of his hands and glare at him. "You're alive," I state, slightly pulling my dress up and putting the dagger in my thigh holster.

He places his hands in his pockets and nods, keeping his eyes trained on my face, "Yes I am."

"You're supposed to be dead."

"Well yes. I did die."

"What?"

He momentarily looks around the area before looking back down at me.

"I was found shortly after your poor attempt at succeeding to kill me. I was dead for around five minutes before they revived me," he explains to me like it's obvious.

By the way, it is not obvious.

Staring at him in shock, my lips slightly part.

"So I'm alive, but I died for five minutes so I rate your attempt a seven out of ten. No one has ever gotten that close to me before," he says, smiling at me.

I blink at him.

He tilts his head, "You okay? You seem shocked," he says mockingly.

"Because I am," I quietly admit.

"Well, I'm not surprised. You didn't think you could actually get rid of me, right?"

I did but clearly I haven't. I'm too shocked to even care.

He's wearing a black suit with a white shirt and a dark green tie. I think the tie is the same shade as his eyes. I look back at his eyes to double-check. It's the same exact shade. Looking away, I clench my fists. This goddamn idiot. Why does he have to look so good when he is humiliating me?

What were you thinking, Athena? A few stab wounds are going to kill a man like him? I should have just shot him instead.

With a finger, he tilts my chin up at him, making me look directly into his eyes. "I think a dance would smooth everything out between us, don't you think?" He quietly asks me, a glimmer of mischievousness in his eyes.

This is where I smile. "Yeah. I think it will," I say.

He smiles and leads me to the dance floor.

A few minutes later and I realise, I never thought I would be dancing with Hades but here I am, swaying to the music, his hand resting on my waist.

"I have to admit," he says, his voice low and husky. "You look beautiful tonight."

He's stupid.

He's stupid that he thought dance would smooth everything. Next time I catch him alone, I'm killing him with a bullet in his head.

I snort, rolling my eyes. "Save the flattery for someone who cares."

He laughs, his grip on me tightening. "Oh come on, you don't have to be so grumpy all the time."

I scowl, feeling a surge of anger. "I enjoy nothing about being around you, that's why."

He leans in close to me, his lips almost brushing against mine. "I beg to differ."

I feel my heart racing and I hate myself for it. "What are you trying to do, seduce me?" I snap.

He grins, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Is it working?"