Thirty-two | Taken

Start from the beginning

But why did everyone seem like they knew things she didn't?

Her stability returned, but the pain on her skin, radiating from her marks, only burned hotter. She couldn't even touch them without groaning in agony.

"Is it Rowan? Is he okay?" She trembled as she reached for Kian's shoulder. "Kian, answer me!"

"He'll live."

She exhaled in relief, but the burst of joy was only short-lived when a chorus of shifter howls drew her attention. Searching for the mind link, she could catch brief words.

Sick

Portal

Blood

Help

Alpha

Vampire.

Her eyes opened in realisation, and she tried Kian again. "Tell me now, Kian. What is happening?"

Why wouldn't he answer her? The silence was about to drive her insane.

Her skin crawled as he turned, his eyes filled with tears and skin glistening in a sheen of sweat. He looked afraid. Was he scared to tell her? Did he think she would shift and hurt him?

"You can tell me. I think my lycan form is gone." Even as she said it, she knew it was true. The underlying rage that often triggered her shift wasn't there anymore. Nothing was there but sadness.

"Kian." Her voice broke.

"It's-" His voice broke.

She was about to tear in two. She just knew it. It was over. Her heart was destroyed. There was only one person that could affect Kian like that.

"Who?"

"It's Elias."

The world stopped moving. Sound ceased. She didn't even hear the following words from his lips, but her eyes knew precisely what he said, what he was never allowed to say. She wouldn't believe him. 

It was a fucking lie. 

No. 

No. 

No.

She turned and sprinted to the cabins. Her legs moved so quickly beneath her she couldn't feel the earth underfoot nor the sharp pine needles and twigs whipping across her cheeks. The trees sped by, all drooping and swaying as if sharing her pain. 

They could all fuck off. It wasn't fucking true. 

Everyone was fine. 

They made it home. 

They were home. 

They were okay. 

Please.

She begged her mind for it to be a lie. The portal sickness should have been gone since the division was healed. That made sense. That would be the truth. Everything was supposed to go back to where it was before so creatures could travel safely across realms. 

But Argyncia was dying, just like Rowan's home realm. 

Did that change anything?

Her racing mind distracted her from the familiar voices shouting at her on all sides.

"Sylvie, wait!"

"Don't let her in there!"

"Stop her!"

"Sylvie!"

She shoved past the grabbing hands of her friends and slammed into Amira's hut. Rowan lay to the right, his torso bandaged and covered in poultices. He was covered in sweat, fighting the pain and fever, but his chest rose and fell in shallow rhythm.