"Darling? Come into the light," she trilled in a singsong voice. "I know you're out there."

"No, Kian! Stay away!"

"Shush, shush, shush. This is the finale of my plans. With Kian, I can take my Vampire army to Earth and rule the largest colony of all the realms."

Stall

She had to stall. 

Please go, Kian. Stay away. "What about Evergreen?"

"Why would I go there? Those pretentious Fae never accepted me, not with my demon blood. They got what they deserved."

Stone court flashed into Sylvie's mind, along with the scent of burning flesh.

"You killed everyone," Sylvie whispered, her voice cracking as Lazuli rambled unaffected.

"The earth realm has so many more people I can rule. I'd make a better Queen than you ever could."

Sylvie raised her head, eyes burning with unshed tears."I don't want to be Queen," she shouted. "I never did! You can be Queen anywhere. I give up my title. There. Happy? Just leave Kian alone."

She laughed again and grabbed Sylvie's face, turning it to face the doorway. "Too late, pet."

In the doorway, blank-faced and shaking, was Kian. Blood coated his hands and shredded clothes, but none of it was his. It must've been the turned ones, but how long was he out there listening? Sylvie didn't know how Lazuli's influence worked, but she thought she had to touch the people for the power to be strong enough. Maybe she was wrong. Maybe Lazuli was stronger now.

"Come here, angel," Lazuli purred, curling her finger with a feline smile.

Kian dragged his feet across the concrete as Sylvie watched in defeat. Her heart ached at his brokenness, a sliver of his scarred back peeking out beneath his torn clothes. The memories of their time together and healing stirred her gut. 

He had worked so hard to let her touch him on those scars, to trust her with the part of him he hated. She spent hours upon hours convincing him how perfect he was despite the damage Lazuli caused. 

All for it to be undone? 

Just for Lazuli to win and hurt him all over again? 

To torture and abuse him in the name of claiming him?

Fuck no.

Something inside her snapped, and the Lycan stepped into the forefront of her consciousness. She could sense her as if it were her inner voice, and this time, she had a fraction of control. But it was slipping. Seconds away from a shift, she gripped her Lycan soul and held it steady as Lazuli obliviously lulled Kian into a zombie-like state.

"You're wrong." Her raspy voice only momentarily caught Lazuli's attention, her eyes briefly wavering from the approaching Kian.

"Oh? About what?"

"Love," Sylvie replied, rotating her wrists as her nails lengthened into claws. "Love isn't a weakness." Her voice grew animal as her face morphed into her beast. 

Still, Lazuli appeared too consumed in her success of capturing Kian that she didn't turn as Sylvie tore her wrists free from the chains. With a grunt, she jammed her hand into her pocket, fetching the tiny vial of demon cleanser, popping off the cap and darted past, shoving it into Kian's mouth. 

"Run," she growled, shoving him out the door as she let the beast take over. If love were a weakness in Lazuli's eyes, Sylvie would make it her undoing.