Chapter 7

I wake to the sound of snoring and realize that I'm in Damien's bed again. I sigh loudly and sit up. I'm going home today. I can go back to school and not have anything to do with these weirdo's anymore. I bet Michael is so worried about me. And my phone, it must be flat, sitting in my cupboard all alone.

"Morning Selena." His morning voice was lovely. But no, I don't want to know him.

"Damien. I want to go home now," I say.

"First have breakfast, and then we'll go to school." I get up quickly and change in the bathroom. No one can know that I've been sleeping in a bed with Damien though. I walk out into the hallway, right into Rosetta.

"Pancakes?"

"Yes please," I say, thankful she appeared and follow her downstairs and into the kitchen. The kitchen is alive with people of all ages and gender. Even some people from school. There is pancakes being thrown over shoulders and eggs being fried. It's loud and a lot to take in.

"Hey Selena."

"Glad you're feeling better."

"What do you want Selena?"

"Um, pancakes," I say hoping she heard, whoever she was. I have no idea who half of these people are.

"Righto, try and get a seat somewhere."

"Oy, no that's my seat," a little girl screams.

"And that one is mine." Twins. How many people actually lived here? I end up sitting on the bench, huddling over a plate of pancakes, drowned in maple syrup.

"What are you doing?" I look up to see Damien.

"Sitting down. The table is full. Anyway, you've put me off my breakfast now," I say and slide it to the side, jump down and walk out the door.

"Selena, wait for a minute."

"Damien, what do you want? I have to get to school."

"What by walking again?" he chuckles. I groan and turn away. Rosetta runs over, grabs my hand and we walk outside and get into one of the black cars that is sitting on the driveway. I lock the door before Damien can get in and told the man in front to drive.

"Awkward love moment?"

"Love? I wouldn't call it love. I don't care. I'm going home." And I was. Nothing was going to stop me, not even the pain I felt in my heart when I walked away from Damien. 

We pull outside school and I get out but once Rosetta has disappears into the crowd, I walk out of the school yard. My house isn't far, and if I run, I won't even break a sweat before I get there. I only get a lift from Michael because he's there and he offers.  

I run inside and hug my mother who looked like she was just about to sit down with a bowl of cereal.

"Selena? Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"No, they sent all the pupils home. Some sort of gas leak," I lie. I don't want to go to school. Especially since he is there.  

"Okay. Sit down then." So I do. "What do you want for your birthday? A day left huh? Sixteen, but don't think you can do anything without me knowing about it. Just because you are of age, doesn't mean you can go around with other boys." I don't know why, but Damien pops up in my head. No, I will not be doing anything with that person. Man I've already slept in the same bed as him. Urgh, mom does not need to know about that.

"... Selena, are you even in there?"

"Mom? Sorry, I was somewhere else completely."

"Do you have any idea what you want for your birthday?" she asks again.