Chapter 6 - That's America

I practically fell down the stairs as I pulled on my jean shorts; Levi was at the bottom as I rounded the curve in the staircase, "Hey Levi." I puffed, I was running way late. He spun around and looked annoyed, "I'm not going to be late on my first day because of you Bee. Hurry up."

I rushed to get all of my things and had a final once over of what I was wearing. I smoothed out my shorts and Jurassic Park t-shirt, tying my vans I yelled for Levi to start the car.

Getting to school people looked at Levi and I like we had clown faces painted on, I heard someone whisper 'Wow he's hot' I cringed, Levi was my twin brother, so in my books he was basically a frog.

We passed through the threshold of the school and my ears were assaulted with a wall of sound. After I showed Levi to his locker Heath made his way over to us, "Blake!" he called, waving as he walked over to me. "Hey." I replied shyly; Levi was watching our interaction with curious eyes, Heath held out his hand to my brother, "Hey man I'm Heath, you are?" Levi took it cautiously and replied with a quiet "Levi."

I cleared my throat and interrupted, "Levi is my brother" I explained to Heath, both the boys had a smile and I felt good. "Blake never mentioned she had a brother, I am currently Blake's best friend." I glared at Heath and he chuckled softly, his white teeth peeking out from his puffy red lips, I had to admit Heath was quite attractive. Heath had been basically my only friend for the time I'd been here, I'd seen Kade around a few times but he was mostly occupied with a blonde girl. Honestly he flat out ignored me most of the time, which was kind of a blessing I guess.

"Heath is my only friend sadly." Heath pouted at my demotion of our friendship status and I nudged him playfully.

"I have Econ first up, what is that?" Levi said to the both of us, Heath laughed and answered, "Economics, I'm in that too I'll take you." I nodded a quiet thanks to Heath and he gave me a squeeze on the arm, I watched their retreating backs as they made their way to first block.

Period 5 rolled around and it was P.E, I walked out in the uniform, which was slightly small thanks to mum not listening to me when I said I was a size 10 and not an 8, however this US system worked the numbers confused mum and the results were an inappropriate uniform.
The shorts were pretty short, and the shirt was tighter than I would have liked, showing my belly piercing when I lifted my arms. I got the piercing when I was 15, mum took me there as a surprise and I almost passed out after they put it through my skin.

Walking out of the change rooms I received a cold glare from a blonde haired girl who was draped all over Kade, he was unfortunately in this class. I was so embarrassed, everyone probably thought I dressed like this on purpose, I willed myself not to run back in the changing room and hide.

"What  is she wearing?" I heard the blonde's voice ask with obvious disdain in her voice. Although, it was a little 'pot calling the kettle black' if you asked me, her shorts were just as if not shorter than mine.

I cast my eyes down as I walked over to the gym teacher who was looking over some things on a clipboard. He was probably in his mid-twenties unlike the P.E teacher back home who had grey hair and couldn't run to save his life.

"Miss you'll have to replace that uniform-" he was going to continue but I cut him off, "Sorry, mum ordered the wrong size. I promise it will be fixed in no time." He nodded and I went to walk away but he spoke again, "I'm Mr. Tucker, but everyone calls me Coach Tucker, I won't give you a citation today but if it's not fixed by next week you'll receive one." He said flashing his slightly crooked smile; I nodded understandingly. I was standing alone next to a bag of volleyballs when someone tapped my shoulder cautiously, I spun around and saw a lanky kid with dark brown eyes standing awkwardly behind me.

"Yes?" I asked politely,  the boy spoke and I almost jumped back at how deep his voice was, "Uh, I'm Oliver and I was wondering, since I know how it feels to be new, if you'd like to be my partner?" I smiled sweetly at Oliver and went to accept his offer when a cleared throat made me and Oliver look at Coach, Coach had a hard look on and said, "Pairs are chosen at random this semester, sorry." I looked back at Oliver and shrugged; "Sorry, I'll see you around." he nodded to the ground and began to walk away, I felt bad I had to say no so I grabbed his arm and he shot me a look of surprise. "I'm Blake by the way." He smiled and it was a cute smile, "Nice to meet you Blake."

"Alright line up!" Coach Tucker yelled, everyone gathered around and waited for him to continue.

We had to wait to be paired up as Coach Tucker read out the names. A few had gone by and some kids looked absolutely horrified by Coach's choice of pairs, some scrawny ginger was paired with this hulking brown boy, I inwardly giggled at the contrast of the two and looked forward to seeing how they worked together.

"Eastwood and Black." I looked up to see who I was paired with. Kade stepped forward.

Oh god.

"If it isn't my favourite slutty kangaroo." He said loud enough for other people to laugh at, I moved away from him and refused to look at anyone.
He threw a heavy arm around my shoulders; I looked up at him with a frown. He was looking at another boy in the class and they were laughing to each other, I was clearly missing something so I pushed him off me.
"I'm sure Shelbs would love to see you and the hoey transfer together." The other boy jested, giving Kade a poke in his ribs with an elbow. I felt my face warm at the name calling but I didn't want to make a scene, but I stepped away from Kade again.

The other boy reached around and squeezed my arse, I yelped and a few people looked over to me. He had a slimy grin on his face and his curly hair flopped over his eyes.
"They feed you well back home I see." He squeezed again, my hands pushed against his heavy set body and I felt tears of frustration build in my eyes. Why were they tormenting me?
"Fuck off." I growled and stomped away.

I had a frown on my face the entire period as Kade ignored me for his friends, I was silently thankful that the blonde had diverted their attention. I sat by the sidelines as everyone played basketball. Those boys were so disgustingly crass, I'd never been treated like that back home That's America I guess.