Chapter 2 - Ocean eyes

I stood helplessly by my car in the car park of Fairview High and saw people pour through the gates. I saw hugs and kisses, heard shouts and grunts, the whole spectrum of greetings and I didn't know a single person. I checked my phone to see if I had any texts, since I told my friends I was moving they were pretty much icing me out. Apparently they didn't see the point in pretending to care about my life anymore, I couldn't say it didn't hurt but it did make the eventuality of losing touch with them much easier.

Deciding I looked like a freak standing alone by my car, I boldly entered the building and averted my eyes from anyone looking in my general direction, invisibility was my goal. Walking haphazardly through the building, I tried to navigate my way through the hoards of loud, rambunctious people, I was afraid they could hear my heart beating out of my chest.

I abruptly turned a corner trying to escape the chaos when I collided with someone, and my momentum pushed me back violently. Gripping my nose trying to avoid the throbbing I noticed two very large hands clutching my arms. I tentatively looked up and came face to chest, with an Adonis. A pure slice of mythological, book-boyfriend, TV worthy, American high-school student. It almost killed me to not roll my eyes at the pure cliché of this moment.

"Oh sorry." I coughed out, looking up at his blue eyes, "Watch it." he said curtly as he slid around me. He was obviously trying to leave, but my inner masochist said, "You could watch out as well." He turned around, making his dark hair flop onto his forehead.

He had a frown playing on his lips, "Why would I?" I struggled to get my words out and shifted under his ocean blue eyes, but I didn't get the chance to reply as he strode off down the hallway leaving me a bit miffed and with a sore nose.

****

I'd gotten my timetable and was heading to my period 1 class, AP English, my favourite class back home, although we didn't have advanced placements. Stepping through the threshold of my first real American high school classroom, slightly late, all heads snapped in my direction.

"Hello?" A mature male voice asked, I looked over as the old teacher eyed me inquisitively.

"I'm Blake Eastwood, I'm new." He smiled largely and walked over to me, his left hand placed on my shoulder and his right gripping an old and well-loved book. The cursive words 'Jane Austen' poked out from under his pale brown fingers.

"Okay, Miss Eastwood needs a partner for the book assignment. Any volunteers?" No one put their hand up and I felt my face begin to turn red, a couple of snickers made their way into the room and I cast my eyes down. Suddenly the teacher let out an 'ah' and I looked up to see a really cute guy put his hand lazily in the air, a lopsided pity-filled smile lay under his big brown eyes.

"Okay Mr. Stanford, you'll be Miss Eastwood's partner. Everyone continue your discussions of chapter 19."

I silently walked over to the boy with big brown eyes and slid into the seat next to him, I placed my books down and the class erupted back into organised chatter.

"Thanks for volunteering." I said, unsure of what to do.

"Not a problem, I'm Heath." He held out a large hand and I shook it, it felt warm and slightly rough, the skin worn from use. He produced a light smile and I felt a bit more comfortable, smiling back at him. "What's the assignment?" I asked softly, he leaned back and shrugged, "Book analysis, 'Pride and Prejudice'." I nodded glumly; I'd done that back in year 10, it was boring then and it would be boring now. 

"Not a fan?" he interjected, I shook my head, he continued, "Well better get used to it, this is our major assignment for the semester." I sighed and we dove into a conversation about the Bennett's and Jane Austen's use of satire in her writing.

The bell rang for second period and I stood up, Heath stood with me and offered to walk me to my next class, I agreed with a thankful smile as this school was a maze. Walking down the once again overly crowded hallway Heath was in the middle of trying to guess where my accent was from when a familiar deep voice stood in front of us.

"Heath, what's good?" I stood silently next to them as the greeted each other with the classic man hug. I recognised the boy from this morning. Heath, who I assumed most likely had ADHD, continued guessing.

"New Zealand?" Heath asked exhausted by this guessing game we'd begun, Ocean eyes rolled his eyes and sighed. "She's Australian." I smiled and nodded, Heath made an O with his mouth and gave Ocean eyes a tap on his shoulder with his fist. "Nice, man."

Heath slung his arm around my shoulder casually and I awkwardly stiffened, he continued "So this is Blake, and Blake this is Kade." I nodded at Kade but he just rolled his eyes, I rolled mine back.

"Yeah, we've met. She ran into me earlier." I looked at the floor.

"Nice," Heath replied with a laugh, "Kade's my best bro." Said Heath, I excused myself as they continued to talk, Kade intentionally cutting me out of the conversation.