Chapter fifty-four | Amaryllis

LOCATION: AIREDAL, HELELL

YEAR: 622 C.E

ZARA RATHMORE WAS HER MOTHER'S DISTANT COUSIN.

And she had been teaching Mary how to use her gifts. It was the first time Mary had felt useful. She could finally be of use to Valia. Her being able to stop time couldn't help all the time, and she could only hold it for a few minutes. Zara smiled as she pulled Mary into a hug. They were in the library. Valia had given Mary access to it. Books covered the entire table in front of Mary as she moved back to her seat, Zara opened one of the books and began reading it. Zara was twenty eight. She reminded Mary of a cousin she had met from her father's family, Naia.

She also resembled her. identical button noses, huge dark golden eyes, and dark curls on the tops of their heads. Zara constantly smiled when she saw Mary. When they finally met, she was pleased. It was lovely to have family members who were actually thrilled to see her and be around her. Mary leaned over the table and grabbed the book she had shown Valia. The book seemed to have found its true owner. Valia. But Mary often wondered why she'd leave Valia when she was in Vequera and not stay with her until she got to Eler. It puzzled her. "Here,"

Zara slid the book she was reading to Mary and pointed to a page. Mary stared down at what she was pointing at. Zara had found a book about seers and their gifts. Mary read from the page before she glanced up at Zara, confused. "We both can see the threads, and like you said before, the ritual was done two years ago, and it changed how we feel about everything; it makes us more powerful. You said you had visions about the future, so what if you could see the future through the threads themselves without the help of Zeohr?" Mary sighed.

"The future changes all the time, Zara. The tiniest thing could change...everything. There's no telling if what I see is actually what's going to happen."

It was an idea but a risky one. Especially in a time of war. Valia had been building up Hallel's defenses, reading the kingdom for a war which gave her the upper hand and if Mary gave her the wrong advice, it could fuck up everything. She could not risk that. Mary shook head, sighing. "It's too dangerous."

"Risks need to be taken to secure her place on the throne." Zara argued. "You want to help, right? I am giving you options."

Mary closed her eyes, exhaling before opening them again. Her cousin's eyes shifted behind Mary before falling back down to the book. Mary glanced over her shoulder and saw Koa and Prince Tieran. Koa's eyes never left Zara. Tieran cleared his throat before nodding to Mary, motioning for her to get up. "We will talk later." Mary said to her cousin before rising from the table.

Outside of the library, Mary glanced around before she spoke, "Have you found them yet?" She had asked Koa and Tieran to help her find Valia's father and her younger brother.

"A ship has arrived at the docks in Walden. Valia has already been informed." They began to walk to the throne room and when they entered, Valia sat on the throne with a blank expression, and it remained even when she saw them. The priestess stood at Valia's side and Koa placed a hand on Mary's arm, guiding her over to his mother. Prince Tieran stood on the other side of Valia. A few nobles lingered around the chamber with confused looks. The doors of the chamber opened but it was a single woman. She wore a long black cloak and the hood cast a shadow over her face.

Mary glanced over to Valia. "The Order of the Black Dragon." She whispered, causing Koa to turn to look at her. Valia glanced over to Mary, hearing what she said. A wave of seriousness came over her face and she stood and walked over to the woman.

"Why are you here?" Valia asked but as the woman rose her head for only Valia to see, there was a chill in air and Mary whispered a soft chant.

The woman began to speak in Valia's mother tongue, Dethiaen. Valia responded to whatever the woman said with an annoyed tone before an obvious curse left her lips. Valia's hands clenched at her sides as she moved away from the woman. "Where are the rest of you? Where is my father and brother?"