Chapter seventeen | Amaryllis

TW MENTIONS OF: RAPE, MASS MURDER, DEATH, SUICIDE

LOCATION: EASTCLIFF, ELER

YEAR: 620 C.E

"ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE ALRIGHT?" AMARYLLIS HEARD MALVOLIA ASK VALIA.

Mary's mother stared vacantly at Valia who hadn't gotten up from the ground. Koa, Drystan, and Calix left to go to their training grounds. Valia seemed to be in a daze. Her eyes were distant and dilated. Mary sat down next to her as she brush a hand on her back. The ritual seemed to help restore the balance of their family. But at what cost? They could not live without Valia now. And she was only a child. They were putting all of their hope into a child to save them. Valia's sudden laughter surprised her and confused her. Valia seemed to be more alive than before but something had changed while she was passed out. Mary sighed as she helped Valia up from the ground. She wrapped Valia's arm over her shoulder and helped her stand. A howl broke out and filled the air.

"Fuck." Mary cursed with a dark tone.

"I'm going to pick you up now."

One moment, Malvolia was standing next to her and the next she was gone. A gush of wind blew passed them. Mary looked up at the sky and the sun had begun to set. She heard a slight cooing sound. Her head snapped to the forest as red eyes stared back at her. "Valia. Close your eyes." She picked Valia up, her arms under her knees and her neck as she ran to the Delacroix house but before she could make it inside, she was knocked over. She watched as Valia's head hit the ground and she fell unconscious.

She moved to get up but a growl sounded and a black figure peeked from the forest. Don't look away. Don't blink. Don't look away. Don't blink. She repeated the words over and over as her hand lifted from the ground. Her heart pounded against her chest. She had no weapon to fight it and her gift wasn't as useful as the rest of theirs. She felt hopeless. "Valia. Wake up. Valia, wake up." She shouted.

She watched it as it went away from the forest's entrance. Malvolia and her kids were surrounding the Yuni but they looked worried. As Valia struggled to stand up, blood was streaming down the side of her face. She rose, with a slight gleam in her eyes. Her eyes flicked from brown to gold as the voice struggled to maintain control of Valia's body. Her body jerked, just a little before pausing. The Yuni was somewhat larger than a dire wolf, but roughly the same size. It had twelve roaring heads, and they were all looking down at Valia. Its opened mouths were drooling, and its head was dropped in a menacing manner.

The voice was in charge. As she hurried at the Yuni, Valia made fists with her hands, leaving a path of fire. She charged the Yuni head-on. Drystan ran to Mary and helped her up as Koa also charged at the Yuni. Koa kicked it in the side, sending it tumbling to the ground. Fire begun to shoot from Valia's hands as she tackled the creature to the ground. The creature let out a throaty yelp as it scratched at Valia's face and arms.

Then Valia dove her hand into the Yuni's chest and pulled out its heart, killing the beast. Valia's body shook as she stood up from the ground with the heart still in her hand. Koa's eyes widened at the sight. Blood dripped from it as Valia crushed it in her hand and threw it on the ground. Valia turned to everyone with a smirk on her face. A crazed look in her eyes. "Burn."

Sparks of fire danced around her before moving to the beast and engulfed in flames. The fire grew, crackling loudly, chaotically. Once the fire died down, the creature was no more than a pile of ash behind her. "Valia?" Malvolia cautiously stepped forward.

"That's not Valia. It's the voice." Mary replied with fear dripping from her voice.

Valia's head tilted as she watched all of them with a calculated look. Like she was waiting for someone to try to attack her. She stepped forward walking passed Koa with a vacant expression. Mary had forgotten her mother had been standing near the house with fear in her eyes. Her body shook and Mary went to hug her mother, comforting her.