Chapter fifty-three | Valia

LOCATION: AIREDAL, HELELL

YEAR: 622 C.E

LADY LEANOR LOOKED INTO THE FIREPLACE.

Valia hadn't heard from Leanor since she had been crowned. It was awkward for Valia knowing that she killed Leanor's wife, Samara. She didn't know if the lady would be resentful and enraged. Which would be understandable, but as Valia sat down next to Leanor by the fire, she exhaled softly. She wanted to ask Lady Leanor to be on her council along with Lady Mallory. They were from the same house, but Lady Mallory was the head of the house. Valia needed someone who was in the high lord's former circle so she could learn everything he knew.

Ruling a kingdom was hard, but she had started to learn, and her council seemed to help when she needed it. Myrna rumbled inside her as Valia glanced warily at the lady. Her hands rested against her lap as the fire crackled loudly in her presence. It softly called to her, filling her with ease.

"Why are you here, Your Grace?" Lady Leanor's voice sounded stiff and forced.

"To apologize... for your wife." Valia replied softly.

Leanor turned to Valia. Her lips were pulled into a thin line. Her crimson eyes stared at her with sorrow. "Samara was stubborn. She and Lazarus had been fighting for years about the borders. Her death was sealed a long time ago. But I am not upset with you. You did what you had to." Leanor sipped from a goblet filled with blood. Her body was firm, like she wasn't sure how to act around Valia. Myrna pushed for control, but Valia ignored her.

"I am sure you did not just seek me out to apologize. You are the high lady; you are allowed to speak your mind." Leanor sat her goblet down and crossed her legs. Valia wanted to ask about the borders, but she went against it. Valia sighed.

"I want you to join my council." Valia spoke confidently as she kept herself from looking into the fire as it called loudly. Myrna pushed further, and Valia ignored her once more.

"Mallory is already on the council; why would you need me?" The older woman replied as she turned fully toward Valia.

"I need a friendly face." Valia reassured her. "It seems as though not many ventrui are that trustworthy. I am sure many of them want me dead." She added thinking of Ser Averill and how she fed him to the fledgling child.

A few minutes passed without Leanor responding, but Valia found it oddly comforting. Nothing but the crackling of the fire and the rumbles of Myrna. 'I told you not to trust her.' Myrna said as she forced her way through, but Valia pushed her back. She began to see flashes of a memory, but it wasn't her own. It was Myrna's. It was of a woman with a blurred face laughing. Her left hand suddenly clenched and jerked forward, but using her right hand, she took hold of it, forcing it down. "What are you doing?" She whispered. Then she remembered she had not made the ventrui aware of Myrna or how she got her gift. Leanor stared over at her with concern but did not say anything.

It took everything in her not to bolt out of the room then and there. Another memory appeared, but it was clearer, and then she saw the woman's face. It was Leanor. "Stop it." Valia fought back, closing her eyes. Her hands shook as the rest of the memory flashed before her closed eyes. Leanor was kissing her. Kissing Myrna. Valia felt the love and admiration coming from Myrna. A single tear fell down her cheek as she felt Myrna take control, pushing her back into her mind. Myrna blankly turned to Leanor, who had knitted eyebrows.

"Are you okay, Your Grace?" Lady Leanor asked.

Valia watched the exchange with annoyance. Myrna hadn't been able to gain control in months, but suddenly she can? It was frustrating but also interesting. Valia concluded it had something to do with Leanor. They were lovers, it seemed. Suddenly, more tears fell down her face. "I told her to stay away from you, but she didn't listen." Valia said it shakily. Myrna's voice was much deeper than Valia's. Hoarser too. "You have my apologies, my dear Lea." Leanor froze as she stared at Valia.