Chapter six | Nikolai

LOCATION: ARCADIOS, VEQUERA

YEAR: 620 C.E

THE LAST THING NIKOLAI WOULD HAVE WANTED TO DO WAS TO BE STUCK IN THE THRONE ROOM AS THE NOBLEMEN AROUND HIM YAPPED AWAY.

He sat on the steps beneath his mother, his head in his hands. Lord Arik Llywelyn had stepped forward and talk to the Queen about taxes. Lord Llywelyn was cut off by a series of screams ripped though the air. Guards swiftly retrieved their longswords from their sheaths and braced themselves. The throne room doors were opened, revealing a bloodied Valia.

He felt a shiver run through him, and his eyes widened at his sister before falling to the beheaded head in her hand, which he recognized as Sir Gareth's as he got closer. No one dared to move as her gaze shifted to their mother, revealing a sinister grin.

Guards surrounded her as she inched closer to the throne to protect The Queen. Nikolai couldn't take his eyes off Sir Gareth's head. Valia's fingers gripped his thinning hair. "Valia, put the...head down." Their father tried to talk her down, but she paid him no mind as she glanced around the room. Her eyes moved without reason.

Then her eyes stopped on Nikolai.

"I got you a present for your crowning, Nikolai." She took a step toward Nikolai, and he stood his ground. She threw the head at his feet. He lightly kicked it with his foot not wanting to it to touch him.

He narrowed his eyes at her. He matched her steps until they were inches apart, but her expression changed slightly. Her smile dropped. "Mother, what are we to do with her?" His eyes met his mother's as looked behind his shoulder at her. The shock slipped away from his mind.

The Queen sighed loudly against her hands. Her body shook with rage, ignoring him.

"Why must I do everything?" He asked himself as he tilted his head to look at the guard standing next to him.

"Ser Rickard, can you give me your sword?" He commanded him.

Ser Rickard glanced hesitantly at The Queen. He turned to Valia who gave him a blank stare. She was about to turn around, but Nikolai lifted his leg and kicked her in the back, sending her to her knees in front of him. She cried out in pain and it reminded him of when he used to play his games with her. He smirked, delightfully. Ser Rickard handed him the longsword. The Queen looked at the display in front of her with a exhausted expression.

"What are you doing, Nikolai?" She asked, tiredly but quickly.

Valia muttered under her breath but he couldn't understand her.

He poked her with his foot. Moving to step in front of her, Nikolai glanced down at his sister with a sinister look. He wanted to lessen their responsibilities. Valia being one of them. Their mother let her do as she wished. She let her get away with having a relationship with that whore of a witch when she could've easily kill off them all and what would've remained of their house then? - His uncle Erato could not be king or his aunt Helena with both being lord and lady to their respectable houses they married to.

Erato inherited Goldenstone at birth. Helena was married to Lord Uliano Robertus. Neither of them would want to leave their comfortable lives to be rule Vequera. It is a heavy burden which is to fall on him once his mother is dead. It always confused him on why Valia wanted to be Queen for that very reason, but it was her birth right not his. He could admit that much.