11 Family Feud

We began by first buying the groceries and while I can do it myself, I will not lie, it did help to have her there so I do not forget anything.

My stomach had butterflies at the thought of her meeting my family, what if someone said the wrong thing? This has to be the worst idea that I have had in years.

I park outside the gate and call Tshidi to come and open the door. The door opens and my nephew comes to open the gate for us.

"He is so cute."

"A menace if you ask me." after I park in front of the door, I lower my window "Where are your siblings?"

"Watching TV."

"Call them to come and take out the plastics." he nods before running inside to fetch the other kids.

"Why did you not tell me you were coming?" Tshidi asks as we enter the house

"He came to my house telling me that you guys do not have food so I wanted to see if he is telling the truth." she shakes her head

"You know I would call you if we had nothing at all."

"I know but I never want you guys to get to that point because he is irresponsible. This is Nandi, a friend of mine. Nandi, this is my niece, Tshidi."
They shake hands and Nandi sits next to me

"This is the first time, I have met any of her friends."

"I am one of two, unfortunately." as they talk, I decide to get up and go look at my mother.

She sits by the window watching the front yard. She has done this, every day, since that day, she refuses to not get out of bed and look outside. I can not believe that I am the reason she is like this.

"Tumi," she says to the window, I take my eyes off her and head to the living room where I find him talking to her. I lean on the threshold and fold my arm.

"What are you talking about?"

"Just telling them about why your mother is sick." he smiles, trying to seem kind.

"How far did you get?"

"We are just about to get to the good part."

"No, no you were not. We are leaving."

"So then Nkoe tracked him down..."

"Don't you dare, Zacharia?"

"No, tell me, it's about my father I want to know," Tshidi demands.

"Zacharia!"

"When she found him, she strapped him to the bed, making sure he could not escape before pouring petrol on him and setting him alight."

"Because he beat my sister! Your mother. You were not there to protect your daughter! Honestly, I want you out of my house."

"Gladly," he says standing up and getting out and Tshidi follows him.

"Why did you not tell me sooner?"

"Because I did not want to break your heart." not him trying to seem like a good man

"Matshidiso, I took care of you since you were born, I have always loved you..."

"You killed my parents," she tries to hit me but I catch her hands before she can and she wiggles out and heads inside.

"You better hide well because I will not forgive this."

"That is what I am hoping for." he makes his way out of the gate and I head back inside trying to fix what he broke.

Standing outside her door, I knock. "Go away!"

"You probably do not remember this but you were seven, Tsebo and Dintle were three and Katleho was a few months old, he came into the house demanding to see your mother and she left with him leaving you guys with me. She came back home with marks and the next day they had become bruises. She tried to hide them but I noticed and I was tired of it. I found out where he liked to hang out and I had a few friends help me drag him to the shack. We tied him down and burned him.

Your mom then went into the house trying to save him and no matter how hard we tried to get her out, she would rather die with him than live a life without him. I did not mean to kill my sister and maybe if I was stronger, I could have pulled her out but I was not. I am so sorry that you had to grow up wishing for them. I did what I thought was best. I am leaving, a nurse will arrive tomorrow to take care of Gogo. Call me if you need anything. I love you." three taps for I love you and I head to the living room and she is not there.

As I get to the car, I notice that she is distracting Katleho.

"Hey, Kat, how is school?"

"It's good, why did Ausi Tshidi want to hit you?"

"I hurt her feelings."

"Did you apologise?"

"I did, we will just see if she forgives me. You go inside before it is dark outside, I will see you tomorrow before we leave okay?" he nods before running inside.

"I thought we were sleeping here." I shake my head and she nods.

I had already booked the room before we left so all we had to do was verify and get the key. She is getting ready to sleep, doing her night routine.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you kill him?"

"He hurt my sister."

"There were so many other options."

"Abusers never leave once you have had their children, that's why she had four with the loser."

"But murder, in such a painful way?"

"He deserved it." she keeps quiet, focusing on her skin. For the first time, we slept with our backs to each other.

********
Vote and comment