17 The Boy Is Mine

She is wearing a gold spaghetti strap dress with a slit while I went with a black long-sleeved backless dress. She still has faux locs while I have a braided ponytail.

We walk in together and I notice Prudence looking at me with the "I knew it" eyes. She is pulled by Pule while Eric pulls me into my office.

He hands me a list of all the pieces on auction. I sign off on the auction before I am asked to open the ceremony with a speech. I always hate doing it but I always have to do it. I am not a social person.

"Art gives meaning to life, art gives purpose to souls and it also fosters connection, community and understanding. This auction is not about making money for me, the artists or anyone other than the future artists. The kids in schools with art programs are on the brink of cancellation, and the art schools that do not get government assistance. With your generous donation, the next Picasso is born, with your generosity, the next Michelangelo is taught how to be great. Your generosity feeds art for the next generation to enjoy so please my friends, open your wallets as much as you open your mouths today." I smile before I get off the stage to my girl. 

"Do you want to leave?" I whisper into her ear, she nods and gets up before we make our escape. There was not much we had to do and Pule and Eric could handle the event by themselves and if I was truly needed, I am a phone call away.

We are on the hood of my car, watching the city, we did bring jackets this time around.
"Where do you want to go?"

"What do you mean?"

"On holiday, I promised the kids a holiday, a proper one."

"Durban?"

"Too crowded."

"Is overseas an option?"

"Yes, it is."

"Uhm, I would like to go to Bali."

"Bali, it is. Let me text Tshidi." I am excited to go on holiday with her.

"Tell me, how did you get here?"

"Where?"

"Owning a gallery." I let out a deep breath, here comes the truth.

"After we buried my sister and my mother went into her trance, I needed money for a full-time nurse, the kids needed food and a babysitter so I took coding classes while working for this other guy, hacking into people's credit cards.

I was good at it, really good, so I ditched him and went for bigger fish and they paid more, so much more than I was used to, so I needed to clean the money because it was all illegal. I opened my web development firm but the money was still too much, Prudence then introduced me to my now accountant, who suggested a chain of fast food places or an art gallery. I chose the latter."

"So you are a criminal?"

"Simply put."

"Wow, so I am an accomplice."

"No, you are my girlfriend." she chuckles

"Even worse, what if the cops come?"

"Baby, then I make the case disappear." she looks worried, "Angel, I would never let you get into any unnecessary danger, never, my love."

"You better not." I chuckle before planting a kiss on her cheek.

"I won't. Tell me, what made you move out here?"

"Art."

"That's it?"

"Yep."

"Wow, tell me about yourself, Nandipha."

"There is not much to me, Ms Lenka, I was born and raised in Gqeberha, I moved here for my degree and stayed for my art."

"Why are you the way you are?"

"My parents are devout Catholics, I went to an all-girls boarding school and I am an only child."

"Do you want children?"

"One or two, you?"

"With four siblings, I do not know where I would fit any children but maybe in a few years we can reconsider the kid situation."

"You don't even live with your siblings."

"Yeah but how would they feel if I just had a child?"

"Okay, fair."

"Exactly, you have to think about others, darling."

"Sure, sure. You know, I knew you were involved in something illegal."

"Since when?"

"The day I met you, I was not expecting the murder but anyone who works with Bill Johnson is doing something illegal."

"That is true. We have to talk contract renewal at some point."

"Oh."

"Yeah, your old one, is about to end soon, I wanted to know if you would still like to licence your work to the gallery or if this is the end of our professional relationship."

"Well, I would like to think about it first."

"You have a week."

"Thank you."

"Of course, love." we continue watching the stars and talking.

"Pule told me about the painting."

"Which one?"

"The one you kept for yourself. Where is it?"

"Oh that one, it's in my office."

"Which one?"

"The one in Sandton, I wanted to look at it often."

"Oh wow, Eric said that you have a portrait of me in your office."

"Oh my God, is everyone just ratting me out to you?" She laughs and nods "Yes, I have a few portraits of you."

"I want to see,"

"Now?" She nods "Okay, let's go." We get in the car and I drive towards my office building. We greet the security guards as we head to the lift.

"This is an amazing space."

"Thank you." We make it to my door and I wait for a moment before opening the door, to be sure that I want to do this. We walk into my office which as a massive portrait of her.

"Is this the only one?" I shake my head

"The other ones were supposed to go into my house but I put them in the Gallery storage room instead."

"Oh,"

"Maybe if I get a new house we can consider putting them up."

"After I have taken a look at them, of course."

"Okay," she continues staring at herself in paint. "You look beautiful." She looks at me and smiles before turning back to the painting, probably admiring the brushwork.

"This is beautiful, who did it?"

"Alex, they learned how to paint."

"That is great, this is an amazing painting, can I?"

"Of course," she heads toward it and places her fingers on it gently.

I take a seat on my couch as she obsesses over her friend's work.

"This is such a beautiful painting, fuck." She says turning away from it to come to me.

"You are a beautiful painting." She chuckles

"You are so corny." I giggle as she lays on top of me. "But I like it."

"Good because you are the only reason I do it." We take a nap on the couch, it has been a long day.

**********
Comment and Vote!
Until Next Week.