Chapter 38- Pretend

NORA RODRIGUEZ
I place Miles's hand on my cheek one more time just to make sure he's actually here and I'm not hallucinating. He slowly wipes away my tears and places a kiss on the spot right under my eye.

"How did you even get here?" I ask. He sighs looking back at the door. "I excused my self to the bathroom , so I should go back now before anyone realized. They're going to call you back down in a few minutes, so be ready. I need you to act like we broke up, that we don't care about each other and that you don't have an issue with me marrying Rylie- which is not happening" he say all in one breath.

Okay, I could do this. Simple. Easy. I nod, as I get up from the ground taking Miles with me. He places several kisses on my forehead, as I close my eyes in relief and nervousness. "I gotta go now, ok baby? I'll see you in a minute" he says as his soft lips collide with mine, and then he leaves closing the door softly behind him.

Okay. He's ok. I'm ok. We're good. Calm down Nora. Deep breaths. I readjust my dress and go to look in the mirror. Half my makeup was ruined because of the tears but it's not something I can't fix.

After finishing up, the door suddenly unlocks once again, making me startled. I look at the door as it opens, and the woman who had brought me a dress.

She smiles softly. "He wants you downstairs darling." She says as she gestures me towards the door. I hesitantly follow her as I remind myself to stay calm and memorize the plan.

Your gonna be fine. Just a few meter away from this place is a whole ass FBI team, your brothers 2 SWAT teams, and, well, your dad if that helps at all.

I take a deep breath as I follow her downstairs. From far away, I could see Hugo and Miles, sitting next to each other, Rylie dressed in a beautiful shirt black dress, and her parents sitting next to her.

Alex was sitting at the front of the table, laughing while taking a sip from his wine. I couldn't even stand looking at that disgusting thing after what Mia told me.

As I walk down the golden staircase, the lady leaves. I hold up my head straight, looking forward. I push my shoulders back, making my posture look more professional. As I walk down the stairs, Miles's eyes catch with mine, as his gaze falls to my figure, trying to make it seem as he wasn't looking.

Disgustingly but unfortunately Alex was doing the exact same. I throw him a dirt look, as Miles rests back in his chair. Hugo gets up. "Nora, so happy you were able to make it" he says with a fake smile as he gestures me towards my seat.

As if you ever gave me a choice.

I just glare at him as I take a seat right in front of Miles. He keeps his eyes on anything but me, making it obvious he was nervous.

I take a look at Rylie who was sitting next to Miles, as she holds his hand that was on the table, and squeezes it, as she gives him a smile that I wanted to punch straight out of her face.

Remember. Deep breaths.

Miles returns a smile to her, one that I thankfully knew was fake. He would use it whenever he tried to make it seem like he wasn't ok, but I know when he his. She glances back at me, looking me up and down.

I don't ever bother looking back, as Hugo starts speaking again. "Well, what were we talking about again?" He says cheerfully as a roll my eyes. Alex readjusts his position. "We were just discussing what theme the kids wanted for the wedding" Rylies mom said smiling wildly.

Rylie smiles even wider. "Well, I was kinda thinking we would go with Elegant and beachy vibes, since Miles just LOVES the ocean. And make it outdoors? That would be amazing" she says as she looks at Miles for confirmation.

He looks at her for a brief second. "Yeah, well- I mean whatever you want baby" he replies as I nearly choke on my wine. Deep breaths. Deep breaths. Deep ducking breaths.

I suddenly feel a leg from under the table brush softly against mine. I look at Miles as he gives me a reassuring look, trying not to make it obvious. I continue eating my food, staying silent.

Then? Miles breaks the silence. "Dad, um, you never told me why she was here" he says pointing at me. God, he can make it look like he doesn't even know me anymore so well while I'm here holding myself from slamming my lips onto his.

DEEP FUCKING BREATHS BITCH.

I see a sudden shift in Hugo's eyes. He coughes before speaking again.

I hope you choke motherfucker.

"Well-umm, you see Nora here was just-just umm oh, yes, you see she and Alex here wanted to get married!".

What. The. Fuck.

This time I actually choke on my steak, as I start coughing. Alex gets up from his place quickly before Miles could, as he starts slapping my back softly.

Get your filthy hands away from me bitch.

When I finally swallow the stake, I look up to Miles. He had a confused look on his face. To be honest I did to. "You ok baby?" Alex suddenly asks me as he lowers his head next to my ear.

BRO WHAT-

BABY? MARRIAGE? WHY WASNT I IN ON THIS EXACTLY??  "You guys are getting married?" Miles asks looking at his father. Poor guy must be confused as hell. Hugo smiles. "Yes, it's all very new news to me too but, as they say marriage makes you blind" i can see pretty well thankyou very much?

Alex and Rylie chuckles as she gets a hold of Miles's hand once more.

I swear to god I'm about half a second from chopping that thing off of her body.

I try to smile as much as possible but Miles seemed stunned. In fact I was scared to death that he would suddenly ask me something like "what do you mean" or "what about us". Hugo was just trying to find an excuse, but Alex was having way to much fun with it.

After a very painful and frustrating 2 hours, everybody decides it's best to go to our rooms. To my surprise, Rylie and Miles were staying in the same room.

I'm out of breaths let alone deep ones at this point.

As soon as Rylie and Miles and her parents leave, I turn to Hugo. "What the fuck was that?" I ask, frustrated he would ever do something like this without telling me first.

Wait a minute. Who am I even kidding? This hijo de puta literally wants all the bad in the world for his son.

He sighs. "Had to think of something to say. Plus your single anyway. Who cares" he say as if it's just simple as that.

Alex smirks at his father. I glare at both of them before angrily heading towards my bedroom upstairs. I get inside my bedroom and lock the door behind me harshly.

Calm down girl. They aren't worth your time, your energy, or your feelings. Fuck them( not literally oh god no). I had more important things to figure out right now that a guy who couldn't even keep his family together for gods sake.

Where was Mia during all this? Does Miles know she's alive? Did she meet up with him? Is she in danger? I wonder what Miles And Rylie are doing in their bedroom right no-

Okay that's enough overthinking for today. You trust Miles with your life and that's all that matters. He wouldn't do such a thing. Would he? Nope. No chance.

I sigh fiddling with my fingers. Maybe I should get some sleep. A short nap would help me refocus once I get up.