Chapter twelve

Nkem had been studying tirelessly for her upcoming test, pouring over textbooks and lecture notes for hours on end. She was determined to ace the exam and make the most of her college experience, despite the challenges of being far away from her family in Nigeria.

Just as she was about to take a break and grab some food, there was a knock on her door. She opened it to find Marco standing there, holding a bouquet of her favorite flowers and wearing a charming smile.

"Surprise!" he exclaimed. "I thought we could take a break from studying and have a nice dinner together."

Nkem's heart swelled with happiness as she stepped outside and locked her door behind her. Marco took her hand and led her to a nearby restaurant that she had always admired but never had the chance to visit.

As they sat down and perused the menu, Marco couldn't help but marvel at how beautiful Nkem looked in her simple yet elegant dress. He felt grateful for the opportunity to be with her and to show her how much he cared.

Over dinner, they talked about everything from their families and hometowns to their dreams for the future. Nkem felt a deep connection with Marco, one that went beyond their cultural differences and the challenges of a long-distance relationship.

As they finished their dessert and sipped on coffee, Marco leaned over and whispered in Nkem's ear, "You are the most amazing person I have ever met, Nkem. I am so lucky to have you in my life."

Nkem's heart skipped a beat as she looked into Marco's eyes and felt the sincerity in his words. She knew that he was someone special, someone who had touched her heart in a way that no one else ever had.

As they left the restaurant and walked back to Nkem's dorm, Marco held her hand tightly and promised to always be there for her, no matter what challenges they may face.

For Nkem, that night was a reminder of why she had fallen in love with Marco in the first place - his kindness, his intelligence, and his unwavering commitment to their relationship. And as she hugged him goodbye at her doorstep, she knew that their love would continue to grow stronger with each passing day.