XXXVI

As soon as we get to the track, me and Lando fly out the car and run in opposite directions. As we turn to shout goodbye to each other, Lando grimaces at the poorly parked car. It's hardly in the lines, no doubt the press will drink it up if they know it's his car! I dash to the main entrance, keeping my head on a swivel for Brad. He's a 6ft 3 northerner with bleached hair, he can't be that difficult to miss? It's not like he can't be here yet either, his steps are probably a meter long with his lanky legs.

I waltz in through the entrance, regardless of where Brad said he'd be. The high-pitched zooming noise of a car on track echoes around me, followed with background music and the crowd going mental. The weather looks miserable, but the air feels humid and sticky. Presenting today would feel disgusting, even now I feel slightly clammy. Sorry if that's too much information.

"There you are!" Brad's voice comes from behind me, following me around. "You said to wait at the main entrance?"

"I did, you weren't there!" I scoff, turning to face him.

"I definitely was, you just didn't look properly." Brad taps my shoulder, getting me to walk alongside him.

"You're a 6 foot 3 northerner with a bleached head and dress like you're constantly on a shit-shirt night out." I mutter, disregarding his coral blue and white floral shirt. "Honestly, you look like my Grandma's table cloth."

"Ok, fuck you, for starters." Brad comments, jabbing a finger at me as I smirk, holding back a giggle. "Second of all, don't diss me, otherwise I'll leave you to find Ally's office yourself."

Like I want to find her office? Brad carries on talking me through what I've missed out on so far this weekend, even though it's only been a day. My ears feel like they have cotton wedged inside them, and his voice is slightly muffled. I feel like I'm experiencing a fever dream, my body heating up like a hot water bottle as I gather my surroundings. All of the paddock motorhomes are occupied, and staff that I recognise bustle around like bees in a hive.

It dawns on me, once again. This could be my last time I walk through a paddock. What if Lando was right, and Ally is fully prepared to fire me on the spot? McLaren have become my second family now, not seeing any of them every weekend will be heart breaking. If I have to convince Ally to keep me on board then I'll need to choose my words wisely. I don't think I will ever be able to find a job that matches this one, with a fine balance between fun and thrills and serious hard work.

"Oh, and don't tell anyone outside McLaren, but Daniel might be leaving at the end of the season." Brad whispers.

"What?" How have I missed so much? "When was this a thing?"

"He's been talking to the team for a while, I think the plan's are being finalised over the summer break." He explains as we go inside a main building. "No one really knows all the details, but we'll know whether he's staying or going by the Belgian Grand Prix."

That's after the summer break! How are we supposed to just sit through that break not knowing who our driver will be in the 2023 season? I might not be here by then, the summer break is a long enough time for Ally to find my replacement; she found a content creator within a week without telling anyone. This woman has superpowers that we all underestimate, I'm telling you.

"Have they mentioned who might take the seat?" I ask quietly as someone from another team speed-walks past us, creating a gentle breeze.

"Well, not many people are moving from their teams this season." Brad reads my mind. "Anyway, what did Ally say to you?"

"I don't know, I only missed 8 calls." Brad's eyes widen like he's just witnessed a murder. "She just said to come to her office ASAP."

"I'm surprised she didn't just leave you a voicemail saying 'you're fired' and blocked you there and then." Brad remarks, glancing out a long window at the track below.