26. Fear me not

"Are you sure you increased the dosage? I don't see any changes," Nayeon said

Jeongyeon smiled wickedly. "Of course I did. I think the other medicines he is taking for his wounds are counteracting ours. I'll increase it more," she said. 

"Do that. I suppose we can finish our work within a week and return earlier than we thought. No one will know if we dispose of his body into the waters," Nayeon chuckled and Jeongyeon chuckled along. "Yes, yes, finally out of this slavery," she said. 

"Exactly. Alright, I'll go back to my work, you go and give the halfwit prince his food," Nayeon said and gave Jeongyeon a wink that Jeongyeon returned right away. 

Once Nayeon left, Jeongyeon grabbed the tray containing 'the halfwit prince's food before heading to his room. 

She knocked on the room gently before announcing herself. 

"Come in," Jeongguk's voice came out and she opened the door while balancing the tray in her other hand. "Your Highness," she greeted him before closing the door behind her. 

Jeongguk had healed enough to sit up and walk around on his own, though the wounds were still present. 

"Thank you," he said when she placed his tray on his table, making her heart flutter like it always did whenever the prince used the magic words please, thank you and sorry. Something about the fact that such an influentially huge person still said those magic words to a nobody like her made her feel special. 

She did not develop feelings for him. She wasn't a fool. She knew her place and how she would never have a chance. Yet, it felt good to not be treated like trash, unlike what she had always grown up hearing about. 

"I need to talk to you, Your Highness," she said in a small whisper. 

Jeongguk's eyebrows furrowed. He gestured for her to go on, his eyebrows furrowing deeper when she fell on her knees and bowed down, touching her head to the floor. 

"What are you doing, Jeongyeon?" he asked in confusion, only to flinch when he realized that her shoulders were shaking. "Are you...perhaps....crying?" 

"F-Forgive me, Your Highness," she whispered, "please do not raise your voice," she said. Jeongguk didn't understand why, but he obeyed. Jeongyeon had never ever asked him to do anything, after all. If she was asking him now, it must be important. 

"What is it that you want to tell me, Jeongyeon? Fear me not," he said, making his voice as comforting as possible. 

And so she explained everything to Jeongguk. How the officers who were against Jeongguk had called her after the war, how they had promised her freedom in exchange for poisoning Jeongguk, why she had accepted the deal, how she had planned to execute it, how her plan was beginning to flop, how she had no idea what to do anymore...