❁chapter thirty-seven - the worst of me

Start from the beginning

Because you didn't answer his question, Eren did what you had just ordered. He sat in front of you, but he couldn't look at your eyes while you analyze each of his movements.

"Who have you been with?" you asked. He didn't answer. You snapped your fingers, "You think there's someone else here or what? I'm asking you, so you answer!".

"Why do you care so much?!" he shouted, "I don't have to give you any explanations of what I did or what I'm doing!".

You tried to calm yourself. You just wanted answers, something that could give you any sort of explanation to what you just had found out.

You looked directly at Eren's eyes. They were dull, it looked like he was dead. He didn't look any better than you, no matter how hard he tried to pretend he didn't care.

You remembered those same eyes from all of these years since you moved. Around that time, you didn't understand why he looked at you like that. Now, you knew his story. Our story.

You were silent for like two minutes. You didn't know how to introduce all of the things you wanted to talk about. It was quite hard to say all of that.

"You... you didn't tell anyone you're moving" you finally said, "Not even Mikasa".

"Have you talked with Mikasa? Why?" Eren asked. His body language changed; now he seemed worried. Maybe he suspected she had told you something you shouldn't know.

"After we finished class. I was worried about you" you answered. The boy rolled his eyes, "I told you I don't have to give you explanations".

"Yeah, I know, that's why I asked Mikasa and not you" you said pissed, "I thought you told her everything".

"I didn't want people to know all of this before confirming it" Eren explained, "And I didn't have time to tell her".

"You didn't have time to say many things" you reproached. He frowned, "What are you talking about?".

You looked discreetly at the box that was hidden next to you again. The fact that it had been there for so many weeks and you didn't know scared you. This apartment was yours, and still it was full of secrets that you didn't know.

You didn't know how Eren could sleep with the burden of having something under his bed that had had completely changed his life. You couldn't understand how he had been able to act so good that he could make someone he hated fall in love with him.

You took a deep breath and gained strength. You knew it was now or never. "Mikasa has told me of someone you could be with last night".

Eren's face changed completely. His seriousness turned to concern and uncertainty. He knew Mikasa and how she knew he would go to Zeke's house.

Tears formed in your eyes, "Eren, why didn't you tell me you had a brother?".

His eyes widened. Even though he knew Mikasa told you something, he didn't suspect you would have found out that so suddenly.

He didn't answer. You couldn't believe this. He wouldn't give you a proper explanation.

You fake smiled, "I... I can't believe this. I've been sitting here for half an hour, waiting for you to say something. And you just come here and stay quiet? After lying to me for all these months?".

"I wasn't lying" Eren cut you off, "I didn't feel the need to tell you that".

You were starting to feel a cold sweat on your forehead. You were nauseated and felt like you were about to faint.

What was weirder, you felt as if you were not yourself, as if you were experiencing all this in the third person. You felt like your body wasn't working.